Student dies in car accident

Anthony Andrighetto, a member of Delta Chi fraternity, died and four others, including at least one other Delta Chi member, were injured during a car accident on Wednesday afternoon.

The accident occurred at 5:10 p.m. at the intersection of East Golf Links and South Wilmot roads. A total of five individuals were injured in the accident and transferred to local area hospitals. The other four victims are expected to survive their injuries, according to a release from the Tucson Police Department.

According to TPD, the accident occurred when a green minivan failed to yield before making a left turn from Golf Links Road onto Wilmot Road. A green Jeep Wrangler, carrying two of the victims, crashed into the side of the van and flipped into the air, crashing into the traffic pole at the intersection. Another victim driving a black Mazda Protégé attempted to swerve out of the way but crashed into a car in the left turn lane.

Pre-business student Sam Schmid was among those injured in the accident and transported to the University of Arizona Medical Center-University Campus last night.

Jo Marie Gellerman, public affairs coordinator for the center, said Schmid is still in critical condition at the hospital.

Michael Colletti, the president of the UA Interfraternity Council, offered condolences to those affected by the accident.

“The Interfraternity Council is deeply saddened at the loss of Anthony and wishes to offer our deepest sympathies to the members of Delta Chi, family and friends of those affected by this tragedy,” Colletti said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with them. The fraternal bonds extend greater than our own respective chapters, and they have our whole community’s support during this difficult time. We wish those recovering a speedy recovery.”

Jessica Hermann, the president of the Panhellenic Council, said it was important for the Greek community to unite.

“Panhellenic is standing beside IFC in its time of need,” she said. “Through difficult times, we pull together in the Greek community, as we have in the past. I have no doubts that we will get through this together.”

Dante Andrighetto, Anthony’s brother, said Anthony had a “very big heart” and was “everyone’s best friend.”

“He meant a lot to a lot of people,” Dante Andrighetto said.

James Mullins, Anthony Andrighetto’s uncle, reiterated the point.

“He was such a great kid, great at sports and loved working with others at sports, He had a great smile and attitude,” Mullins wrote via email. “As Dante said he had a big heart, and was well loved by all family and friends.”

Mullins wrote that Anthony’s death was a “massive tragedy” to his family.

“He is and will be sorely missed,” Mullins wrote.

More details will follow on DailyWildcat.com as they become available.

— Luke Money