Police Beat: Feb. 3

Left in the dust

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to a hit-and-run accident on Tuesday at 5:30 p.m. A male student said he was riding his bike along Cherry Avenue and University Boulevard when he was suddenly “sideswiped” by a small dark SUV. The driver got out of the car and asked if the student was all right. The student said the driver was an older woman, about 60 years old, with short light hair. He said she inspected his wounds and decided that he was fine, then jumped in the car and drove away. The student did not suffer any major injuries. His knees and elbows were bruised and scraped, but only needed minor attention. Police officers are still searching for the SUV and woman who hit him.

Burnin’ up

A UAPD officer was traveling down Sixth Street next to the Sixth Street Parking Garage when he saw a Volkswagen Passat make an illegal left turn into the garage on Wednesday at 5:15 p.m. The officer pulled over the driver and his passenger, and immediately smelled a strong odor of marijuana coming from the car. He told the students that he had the right to have them exit the car because he smelled marijuana. The officer asked the two male students to sit on the curb. The driver said, “I can just give it to you and that be all.” Again, the officer asked the students to step out of the car and sit on the curb, adding that the student needed to leave whatever he was referring to in the vehicle. Officers found rolling papers, pipes, and marijuana in a prescription bottle and mason jars. They asked both students if either had a medical marijuana card. Both answered no. The two students were cited and referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Suspension sorrows

A UAPD officer pulled over a student for driving with a suspended license and a suspended plate on Wednesday afternoon. The student was driving down Sixth Street when the officer ran a records check on the man’s blue Nissan Maxima. The officer then pulled over the vehicle on Sixth Street and Park Avenue. He asked the student for his driver’s license and registration. The student handed him his license, but was unable to give him his registration and proof of insurance. The officer contacted UAPD to verify that the license and license plate were suspended, then arrested the student. Officers searched the car for illegal drugs or alcohol, but did not find any. The student’s personal items were stored at UAPD, and the car was impounded for a maximum of 30 days.