Wildcats softball hosts National Pro Fastpitch All-Stars

Larry Hogan / Arizona Daily Wildcat UA vs Central Arizona

Caitlin Lowe, director of operations for Arizona softball, will find herself opposite the dugout she sat in for three seasons.

On Wednesday, the Wildcats play the National Pro Fastpitch All-Stars — including Lowe — at 7 p.m. at Hillenbrand Stadium.

Admission and parking for the game is free on a first come, first serve basis.

“This is a win-win game for all of us,” head coach Mike Candrea said. “It’s a chance for the NPF to display some of their talent that they have on their team. For my sake, it shows that there is still an opportunity for young women to play softball after college and I’m all for that. It also gives a really good competitive game that gives us a little pull to see where we’re at.”

Lowe left the NPF after a three-year stint on USSSA Pride to take her current position at Arizona. She had a combined total of 32 runs on 55 hits with a batting average of .291 and 12 RBIs. In 2010, during Lowe’s second season, the Pride won the NPF Championship.

“I’m excited to see Caitlin play again at Hillenbrand Stadium,” Candrea said. “But on the other hand, I’m more excited to see how our team responds to some players that are very seasoned and are a little bit older.”

Wednesday’s game is the fourth to last game of the NPF All-Stars’ Back to School Tour. Currently, the All-Stars have only lost two of their 59 Back to School Tour games — with the latest being a one-run loss against Louisiana Lafayette on Saturday. The final score was 5-4.

Lowe will be joined by fellow Arizona All-Stars Hillary Bach and Kaylyn Castillo, both from ASU.

“I know this is an extremely talented group,” Lowe said. “They are definitely ready for the game [today] and it will be exciting to get on the field with them.”

Arizona enters Wednesday’s game undefeated at 7-0 with four mercy-rule wins this fall season.

With half the roster made up of newcomers, the entire fall season has been about preparing the team for the rigorous and highly competitive spring season and seeing where everyone fits in, Candrea said. He referred to it as a learning process.

Even though Arizona hasn’t done any specific training to prepare for the game, it has changed its practice schedule.

“We practiced at six last night to give the girls a little experience with playing under the lights, which is a little bit different,” Candrea said.

This will be the second time the teams will meet in three years. In their last 2010 meeting the All-Stars shut out the Wildcats 9-0.