UA Democratic delegates return fired up

More than 40 million people are estimated to have watched Illinois senator Barack Obama’s speech accepting the Democratic nomination for President last Thursday night, but at least three UA students got to share the moment in person.

History sophomore Chris Campas and David Martinez III, ABOR student regent and senior majoring in education and political science both served as elected delegates to last week’s Democratic National Convention, and both return to the UA campus this week filled with renewed enthusiasm for this fall’s election.

“”The media has dubbed this as the year of the young voter, and I definitely saw that (at the convention),”” Martinez said. “”It’s really the result of Senator Clinton and Senator Obama working to recruit new voters … you really saw that in the delegations.””

Although he was not a delegate to the convention, board chair of the Arizona Students’ Association and political science senior Michael Slugocki made a 24-hour trip to Denver just to be in the audience at Invesco Field for Obama’s Thursday speech.

“”It was a quick turnaround, but well worth the trip,”” Slugocki said. “”It was one of the best speeches I’ve ever seen. … There wasn’t a drop of doubt or disappointment. I think he truly nailed it.””

Martinez and Campas were both absorbed in constant activity, from a daily 8 a.m. breakfast with the state delegation to the televised Pepsi Center speeches every evening. In between, both were involved in caucus meetings that lasted through much of each day.

Despite all the activity and the attention paid to Thursday night’s acceptance speech, both delegates agreed that the actual nomination vote the night before was the most moving event of the week.

“”(The best moment) was really the poetry and maneuvering on Wednesday,”” Campas said. “”Normally the nominee’s home state nominates them … and when the voting reached New Mexico, they yielded the floor to the Illinois delegation.””

“”The Illinois speaker talked about their history, Lincoln, now Obama, but then they yielded the floor to New York,”” Martinez said. “”Senator Clinton walked in, and nobody knew what was going on. She made a motion to suspend the rules and vote by acclamation – which meant that everyone’s votes were (unanimously) cast for Obama.””

As it happened, both Martinez and Campas were pledged to vote for Hillary Clinton, but neither expressed reservations about the road ahead.

“”Yes, we are Democrats. Yes, we vote. And yes, we are voting for Barack Obama in November,”” Martinez said.

Campas was considerably more brief.

“”It’s a wonderful time to be a Democrat.””