Mailbag: Oct. 6

A Virginia Tech alum’s standpoint on new gun law

This is in response to the article “”Starting today, law could bring more guns to campus”” (Sept. 30).  I applaud the decision by the administration to voice their concern over this newly enacted law allowing anyone that has a gun to conceal it in their car without a conceal and carry permit.

I did my undergraduate at Virginia Tech and yes, I was there on April 16, 2006. Allowing firearms on campus under any condition is a recipe for disaster. I don’t feel like going over details about Virginia Tech but what I will say is that it only takes one person. It only takes one incident in a parking lot, or near a car for someone to go off. Yes, I do have faith in my fellow man, but I’m not willing to bet my life on it.

The law not only allows people to conceal guns in their cars, but they do not have to have a concealed weapons permit to do it. Correct me if I’m wrong, but that would mean that anyone with a gun could come onto campus and have it concealed in his car. Some of you may say that this would act as a deterrent. You make one critical assumption, you assume that a majority of people have a firearm, have brought it on campus, and are willing to use it in case they need to defend themselves.

Also, if you believe that you need to bring a gun on campus to feel safe, why would you go to a school where you don’t feel safe? There is a reason we have a dedicated police department. Although this is not a response to gun control, it inevitably comes back to it. As much as I believe that people have a right to defend themselves, I hope that people realize what this law means and take steps to rectify this in the future.

Brett Wolgemuth

Virginia Tech class of ‘09

Arizona systems engineering graduate student

Medical marijuana proposition not quick road to legal marijuana

Getting medical marijuana on the ballot would be wonderful. However, don’t think it means a quick road for Arizonans to be smoking legally anytime soon. The proposition for medical marijuana would likely be voted down if it does make it on the November 2010 ballot. 

Sure, the somewhat liberal consensus in Tucson may provide a nice push in favor of the proposition. Unfortunately, there are way too many Palin-loving conservatives in other portions of our state, especially in the greater-Phoenix area, who will do everything in their power to assure that marijuana remains off the medical markets.

There are currently thirteen states with laws effectively removing state penalties for the possession of medical marijuana. The residents of these states are rational-minded enough to see the benefits of herbal medication. Regrettably at this time, the majority of the residents of our state are not as rational minded. If a proposition in support of medical marijuana were on the ballot, the right-wing voters of Arizona would likely rally together and shoot it down faster than you can say “”John McCain.””

This is not to say a medical marijuana proposition on the ballot is an ineffective triumph for herbal medication in Arizona. Consistently getting the proposition on the ballot will increase support until one day the citizens of Arizona will come to their senses and vote it through. It may take a few attempts, a few years, and a few thousand more signatures, but the goal is looking within reach, so kudos to the Arizona Medical Marijuana Policy Project on petition progress. Getting a medical marijuana proposition on the ballot would be a nice step in the right direction. Just remember there are some giant leaps to come.

Gary Gold

Mechanical engineering sophomore

“”Medical Marijuana”” an ironic cliché

This letter is in response to the Daily Wildcat’s Thursday Oct. 1 article “”Medical pot may make the ballot.””

I must say first off that this article has done nothing but further the cause of the immoral legalization of marijuana. Since when has a hallucinogen that is filled with more carcinogens than cigarettes become “”okay”” to give to already sick patients. I was unaware that the moment someone became sick the addition of a carcinogen-bearing substance did no longer affect their health.

I think some people have forgotten about the dangers of today’s drug cartels, all of which are not out to make a “”safe”” and “”friendly”” drug for the sick to consume, they are out to make as much money as they can.

I am curious to know how these supporters of “”medical marijuana”” intend to have the state government distribute “”safe”” marijuana to the “”sick and dying.””

And so I quiver with anticipation of this initiative making the ballot just so I can see the percentages of medical marijuana skyrocket.

I see no difference in this initiative and the church of marijuana. So in the future, let’s all try to think through our great ideas before we go off and try to have a medical-based revolution.

Zach M. Weinstein

Pre-physiology freshman