Police Beat: November 20

Momma’s boy

A UA student was arrested and booked into Pima County Jail on charge of assault and minor in possession of liquor on Nov. 15.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to the Gamma Phi Beta sorority house around 1 a.m. regarding an assault.

The victim was working as a security guard at a registered event at the sorority house when he saw a man jump a 3-foot stucco wall without paying to get into the event.

The security guard approached the student and told him to leave the event and said the student appeared to be intoxicated and “squared up.” He said the student later slapped him and left the event.

An officer made contact with the student shortly after on Cherry Street north of Speedway Boulevard and told him he needed to speak with him.

The student asked why and continued walking. The officer ordered him to stop and place his hands behind his back. The officer told the student it was reported that he assaulted a security guard at the Gamma Phi Beta sorority house, but the student denied the incident.

The officer could smell a strong odor of alcohol on the student’s breath and noticed red and watery eyes. The student was not cooperative with the officer.

The student was placed into the back of the officer’s patrol car and taken to the “Swede” Johnson building parking lot to continue speaking with the officer.

The student continued to deny assaulting the security guard and would not tell the officer his name, saying the officer could contact his mother for information.

The student tried to pull his phone out of his pocket to call his mother and, while doing so, swung his feet out of the car, attempting to exit.

However, he was unsuccessful because he was seat-belted into the vehicle.

Drink or swim

Two UA students and one non-UA affiliate were arrested on Nov. 15 on charges of second-degree trespassing.

Two UAPD officers responded to Hillenbrand Aquatic Center around 2:30 a.m. in response to an alarm going off.

One of the officers saw two people, one of whom was a student, jump over the east fence surrounding the center and run across Campbell Avenue. The officer made contact with the two individuals and noticed they both had wet hair and damp clothing and smelled of intoxicants.

The non-UA affiliate told the officer she was visiting her sister for the weekend.

The second officer held the other student inside Hillenbrand Aquatic Center after she was found hiding behind a bush. The officer could also smell intoxicants on her breath, but she was confirmed to be of legal drinking age.