What you should know after the ASUA primary elections

Arizona held its primary election on Tuesday, Aug. 4, 2020.  

The primary elections for the Associated Students of the University of Arizona concluded Feb. 19. The elections saw three candidates for student body president, two for executive vice president, one for administrative vice president, six for senator-at-large, and senators running for 11out of the 13 colleges. There are 16 positions for senator, meaning that there will be three elected senators for senator-at-large out of the six running. 

The results of the primaries only saw one presidential candidate not moving on, Fredian Tuyisenge, while Rocque Perez, a current senator-at-large, and Tara Singleton will move on to general elections. All of the vice presidential candidates, both administrative and executive, will move on to the generals, as well as all of the senator-at-large candidates. The only college that will not see one candidate moving on out of the three running is the College of Medicine, with Marisol Ibarra and Kalia Kang continuing to generals, while Braydon Mathis will not. The primaries were run to ensure a more competitive race for the general elections, much like our national elections, following ASUA’s commitment to modeling its governing after national governance. 

The presidential candidates have varying platforms which both encourage student involvement and being a voice for students on campus. 

Singleton’s platforms highlight transparency and visibility of ASUA to the student body, civic engagement and creating a more educated and engaged voter population at the university as well as encouraging involvement among students. Her political campaign can be followed on her instagram, @taraforpres, as well as her facebook page

Perez’s platforms include connecting beyond just the university by enacting involvement with the community and local government, reinventing the image of the university’s student government and working to establish equity and inclusion by aiding our most vulnerable student communities. You can follow his presidential campaign and read about his ideas, as well as contribute your own, at his website.

A town hall will be held next week on Tuesday, Feb. 25. In preparation for the general elections, there will be a senator Q&A on Feb. 26, the administrative vice president Q&A and executive vice president debate on Feb. 27, and finally, the presidential debate on Mar. 2. The general elections will be held from Mar. 3-4. You can read the other student candidates’ platforms at ASUA’s website, as well as learn more about what ASUA does for the students of the UA. 

Follow Maggie Rockwell on Twitter