Arizona volleyball pulls off win despite errors

John Routh
John Routh / Arizona Daily Wildcat UA Volleyball vs Oregon

The Arizona volleyball team wrapped up its first round of Pac-12 play with a match against the Oregon State Beavers with a 3-1 win at home. Head coach Dave Rubio said the team is lucky to be 4-6 in the Pac-12 and 12-9 overall.

“We were very fortunate to walk out of here with a win, I’m not very happy right now,” Rubio said.

The win did not come easy as the team had a season high 10 service errors and seven receiving errors.

Sophomore middle blocker, Rachel Rhoades, led the team in hitting percentage at .556. Arizona dropped the third set but was able to contain the Beavers’ offense through out the match by out-blocking them 11.5 to 3.0.

“It’s hard to have every piece of the game working at the same time, like if our passing isn’t on, maybe our setting won’t be there and vice-versa,” Rhoades said.

Sophomore outside hitter Madi Kingdon said the team played out of character against the Beavers in large part because the Arizona defense struggled to keep the ball under control more than usual.

This made it difficult for the offense to run smoothly.

“When the defense isn’t on then our sets usually aren’t that great, so its hard to get a good set out of a defense that’s not working out,” Kingdon said. “It tends to lead [to] us trying to just keep the ball in than trying to go for the kill.”

The win may not have been the team’s best performance to date, but Rubio said his squad is still in it and will continue to fight for wins.

“The good news is we’re still in the hunt, we have a chance despite the fact that some of the real areas that are weak for us,” Rubio said. “If we’re going to catch the top half, there are some dramatic things that need to happen on this team.”