Police Beat: Sept. 29

Boys’ blunder with beer run

University of Arizona Police Department officers were on patrol near the intersection of Sixth Street and Warren Avenue on Sept. 19 at 12:13 a.m. when they observed several men walking around carrying cases of beer. According to police, three men were walking southbound along Sixth Street, two of them were carrying 30-packs of Keystone Light.

Upon seeing police, one of the men attempted to conceal his 30-pack with his body. Police spoke with them and asked them for identification. One of the beer-carrying men offered police a fake drivers license, but officers were able to properly identify him and confiscate the fake ID.

Both men were cited on charges of minor in possession, and one of them was additionally cited on charges of possession of a fake ID. The ID was taken into police property as evidence.

Cops bust frat party, attendees flee

UAPD officers on patrol observed several people lingering in front of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity house on Sept. 19 at 12:50 a.m. According to police, two women and six men were standing on the south side of the building. When officers approached the group, the two women fled from the scene. Officers contacted the men, who told police they had only been walking down the sidewalk.

Police then observed one of the women run into the fraternity house and music and loud yelling could be heard coming from inside of the building. Police knocked on the front door and through the glass they observed a man holding a can of beer look out and see police, then turn around and run through the house warning others. Police also watched as approximately 25 men and women holding beer cans attempt to hide from officers.

Eventually, the Delta Tau Delta president came to the door and denied to police that a party was going on. Police told the man the gathering was not a sanctioned event and told him that he had 15 minutes to clear everybody out of the house. Several women tried to flee from police by running from the house and one officer injured his knee during the pursuit. Eleven people were cited by police on charges of minor in possession after leaving the house. All 11 people were released on scene and the incident has been referred to the Dean of Students Office.

As officers were releasing the partiers, they observed three men urinating in a parking lot while a woman sat waiting in a running pickup truck. When the men finished, they attempted to get back into the pickup truck and leave. Police stopped the men and spoke with the woman. The woman was cited on charges of driving under the influence and the three men were cited on charges of criminal nuisance. All four subjects were released on scene.

Disorderly dorm disturber cited for minor in possession

UAPD officers responded to the Manzanita-Mohave Residence Hall on Sept. 19 at 2:50 a.m. in reference to reports of an unidentified male screaming, yelling, throwing beer cans and rolling around on the ground outside of the building. Upon arrival, officers made contact with the man on the northeast corner of Park Avenue and Second Street.

According to police, the man admitted to drinking beer that evening, his speech was slurred, his eyes were bloodshot and the strong odor of intoxicants was detected on his breath. Police cited the man on charges of minor in possession and he was released on scene.

Dorm dudes’ pipe taken by police

UAPD officers were dispatched to the Graham-Greenlee Residence Hall Sept. 22 at approximately 12:21 a.m. in response to a call from a resident assistant about the odor of marijuana coming from one of the rooms. When officers arrived, they met with the RA who led them to the room where the odor was coming from. Officers knocked on the door for several minutes before a man finally answered the door. Officers told the man why they were there and stated that they wanted to ask him some questions.

The man asked, “”Can we talk about this tomorrow?”” Officers told the man they needed to talk immediately and asked to be allowed into the room. The man agreed and officers entered. Inside the room, officers detected the odor of marijuana and questioned the man and his roommate. The men admitted to smoking marijuana earlier that day but claimed to have done so outside.

The men also claimed to have no more marijuana in the room, but one of the men produced a glass pipe containing marijuana residue. Both men admitted to using the pipe earlier in the day. Police referred the incident to the Dean of Students Office and the pipe has been placed into police property as evidence.

Woman tumbles off bed, takes medical toll

UAPD officers were dispatched to Manzanita-Mohave Residence Hall on Sept. 23 at 1:11 a.m. in reference to a medical assistance call. Dispatch advised officers that a woman had fallen and was currently awaiting emergency medical services.

Upon arrival, officers made contact with the woman who was surrounded by several of her friends. According to the woman, she was getting out of her bed, which was a few feet off of the ground, and her foot slipped on a chair that she was using. The woman then landed on the chair, injuring her groin area.

The woman also claimed to have struck her chest on the bed during the fall. The woman had several bruises on her body and told police that she had begun bleeding from her vagina as a result of the fall. Tucson Fire Department officers arrived to evaluate the woman’s condition.

After completing an examination of the woman, TFD transported her to University Medical Center for treatment.