“On the spot: Ben Madrid, Electrical engineering junior”

So there’s lots of good stuff going on with holidays but there’s bad stuff, too. What’s your least favorite part of Thanksgiving?

I guess if there’s some animosity between some family members, you know? There’s always black sheep I guess, but I don’t know.

Is there any of that going on in your family?

No, actually I’ve got a pretty big family and ours is pretty amicable I guess.

What about all the craziness the day after with all the shopping?

Nah, I don’t do any of that. No, my mom and my fiancé, they get up for all of those early bird specials.

So is the worst part about that maybe that they wake you up at like 4 a.m.?

Oh yeah, especially after staying up late with family and them rustling about and getting ready to get going.

What about traveling? What’s one of the worst traveling experiences during the holidays?

Just trying to manage the airport scene, but that’s pretty typical for everyone I guess. Just trying to get there on time and all the security and whatnot and battling the lines.

Where did you travel back to?

Actually I just went back to the valley, up to Phoenix.

What’s the worst part about making short trips like that?

Um, just the same things like battling traffic and making sure everything is ready. We were up there for a few days, so basically it’s just having everything ready.

By battling traffic did you mean those dumb people who just stay in the left lane the whole time?

(Laughs) Yeah, the I-10’s got some traffic on it and, you know, there’s a lot of snowbirds coming back into town so that’s going to take up some time trying to get around.

Snow? In the desert?

Snowbirds, yeah. The out-of-towners. (Laughs)

Oh, OK. I thought you said snow boarders because I was going to say, there’s no way there’s that many snowboarders out here.

(Laughs) No, no. Not the snowboarders, just the snowbirds. (Laughs)

— Brian Kimball