Police Beat

A man reported a stop sign damaged at the intersection of North Park Avenue and East South Campus Drive, after watching four men attempt to knock down another stop sign at East Fourth Street and North Santa Rita Avenue at 1:22 a.m. Tuesday.

An officer responded to Yavapai Residence Hall, 1222 E. South Campus Drive, to speak with a man who said he was driving around in the area of North Park Avenue and East South Campus Drive at 1 a.m. while looking for a parking space.

He noticed the stop sign on the northeast corner had been knocked over and was lying in the street. He moved the stop sign to a safe location on the sidewalk and continued to look for parking on East Fourth Street.

At North Santa Rita Avenue, as he was parking, he saw four men yanking on the stop sign on the northeast corner in an attempt to knock it over. When they noticed him, they stopped until he left the area and then continued to try and knock the sign free.

The man left the area before he saw if they succeeded in breaking the sign.

Officers circulated the area and did not locate anyone matching the descriptions the man gave. There were no other witnesses and no cameras in the area. The officer contacted general maintenance, and an employee responded to the area of North Park Avenue and East South Campus Drive. He was able to remove the broken part of the sign and place it in an upright and functional position.

They then went to the area of East Fourth Street and North Santa Rita Avenue and saw the stop sign was missing completely.

They also found a water hose that had been turned on and left to run, thereby flooding the street.

A man was arrested on a University of Arizona Police Department warrant and two Tucson Police Department warrants at the intersection of North Campbell Avenue and East Mabel Street on Monday.

At 12:48 p.m., an officer was on patrol northbound on North Campbell Avenue at East Mabel Street when he noticed a man staggering and swaying as he walked toward the officer.

The officer parked and exited the vehicle to observe the man. The officer asked if he was OK; the man said his friend had just died and that he was trying to get to East Grant Road to find his friend’s wife.

The officer noticed a strong odor of intoxicants coming from the man’s mouth, and the officer asked if he had consumed any alcohol.

The man became very emotional and started to cry. He said he drank about six beers earlier in the morning because he was so upset about his friend’s death.

The officer asked what his friend’s name was, and the man said it was none of his business.

At this time, the officer learned from UAPD that the man had three outstanding criminal warrants.

The officer handcuffed him, searched him and looked through his backpack, where he found 12 cold beers.

The man was transported to Pima County Jail and booked on two counts of violation of promise to appear and a probation violation.

Two men were arrested on combinations of drug and traffic charges Monday night.

At 10:15 p.m., an officer observed two vehicles engaging in street racing at East Sixth Street and North Park Avenue. The vehicles were traveling eastbound on East Sixth Street at approximately 50 mph.

Two officers stopped the vehicles. The driver of the first vehicle was cited for exhibition of speed racing, while the driver of the second admitted to street racing, adding that he was going at least 60 mph in a 30 mph zone.

A search of the second vehicle resulted in the discovery of a plastic bag containing marijuana, one multicolored glass pipe and one metal grinder.

Additionally, one cigarette-rolling device was in the man’s right front pants pocket.

The second driver was cited for exhibition of speed racing, no proof of insurance, possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was cited and released.