‘Bus Stop’ charms audiences

The Arizona Repertory Theatre’s production of William Inge’s “”Bus Stop”” engages the audience throughout and features many talented actors and actresses.

“”Bus Stop”” takes place in the middle of a snow-ridden March night at Grace’s Diner, an establishment that caters to travelers who come through on the regular bus schedule. Grace herself (Celia Madeoy) runs the diner, along with another, younger waitress named Elma (Shannon Corrigan). Both actresses are charismatic in their roles. Corrigan warms hearts when Elma poorly re-enacts the balcony scene in “”Romeo and Juliet”” by sweetly speaking each syllable to its poetic meter.

“”Bus Stop””
    Arizona Repertory Theatre
    4 stars!
    Through October 28 @ Marroney Theater
    Tickets $26/General $19/Students $24/Faculty

The play focuses on the romance between a rancher from Montana named Bo (Aaron Shand) and a former club singer named Cherie (Julie Garrison), for whom he has fallen in love with and taken to marry. Garrison lights up the stage with Cherie’s bubbly personality, and Shand brings Bo’s bullheadedness with every line.

In a single night at Grace’s, the passengers of a stranded bus, including driver Carl (Stephen Gaeto), brave not only the elements but also one another. The caring and concerned local sheriff, Will Masters (Nathan Weisband), makes sure the ladies remain safe. The wayfaring strangers are also accompanied by Virgil (Matthew Bowdren), Bo’s fellow rancher, and Dr. Lyman (Jeremy Selim). Bowdren does an excellent job giving depth to his small role, and Selim’s portrayal of Dr. Lyman brings to mind a drunk Frasier Crane with a mustache.

These characters all last the night and leave Grace’s with experiences and new beginnings that allow the audience to find joy in young love, sympathize with those left behind and reflect on the human condition.

The Theatre paid as much attention to excellence among its actors as it did to the quality of the visuals. The moment you walk into the theater, you are immediately stunned by the attention to detail put into the set.

Despite snow falling outside a window, the colors and the unique set dressing make the diner feel warm. Country music reinforces the rural setting. The lighting is simple and effective, and the costumes suit apparel of the 1940s.

“”Bus Stop”” can be seen at the Marroney Theater, 1025 N. Olive Road. Shows are Oct. 11-13, 18-20 and 25-27 at 7:30 p.m. and Oct. 14, 20, 21 and 28 at 1:30 p.m.

General admission is $26. Admission for senior citizens, UA employees and military is $24. Student admission is $19.

For additional ticket information, contact the UA Fine Arts Box Office at 621-1162.