Women’s tennis goes to NCAAs with worst record in field

Fortunately for the Arizona women’s tennis team, it is in the Pacific 10 Conference.

Even with the lowest winning percentages out of the 64 teams in this year’s NCAA Tournament, the Wildcats (9-13, 3-6 Pac-10) have made the field and will play Kentucky (18-7, 6-5 Southeastern Conference) in the first round on May 12 at Georgia Tech.

Because of the team’s mediocre winning percentage (41 percent), UA assistant coach Brian Ramirez said he felt playing in the perennially strong Pac-10 persuaded the selection committee to admit Arizona, the only participant with a sub-.500 record.

“”We play in the Pac-10, so (most of) the losses we have are all to teams ranked in the top 15 in the country,”” he said. “”I think (the selection committee) takes that into consideration.

“”Just by the fact that we get seven teams in from our conference indicates that the selection committee feels that, clearly, this is the toughest conference in the country for tennis.””

While the Wildcats are in, they have earned a tough draw against Kentucky (18-7). In fact, Arizona finds itself in a situation similar to last season’s tournament.

Last year, Arizona got past Brigham Young in the first round before falling to the eventual national champion Stanford in the second.

This year, should Arizona get past the opening round, No. 3 Georgia Tech (23-4) will likely be waiting.

“”It was expected,”” sophomore Danielle Steinberg said. “”We’re not a top-ranked team, so we aren’t going to get two easy matches, then make it to nationals.

“”I think it’ll be challenging, but it’ll be nice to have someone other than Stanford or USC in the second round. If we can beat Kentucky, I’m excited to play Georgia Tech.””