Optics major looks to the future

Ginny Polin/ Arizona Daily Wildcat  

Christine Bradley, Optics science Senior 

experience working with NASA as an undergrad

she also win the outstanding senior award from  Optics science and engineering

her senior design project generate polarized light of different  states at inferred wavelengths.
AM
Ginny Polin/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Christine Bradley, Optics science Senior experience working with NASA as an undergrad she also win the outstanding senior award from Optics science and engineering her senior design project generate polarized light of different states at inferred wavelengths.

When Christine Bradley started her undergraduate degree at the UA, she had no clue she wanted to pursue optics.

It wasn’t until she toured a few of the UA optical laboratories the summer of her freshman year did she discover her interest in the subject.    

“”One of the reasons I chose the UA was because I knew it was a big research university,”” Bradley said. “”I was able to involve myself right away in the program ever since my first year here.””  

Bradley studies a branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of light, including electromagnetic waves and radiation. This field is also closely related to other research fields including engineering and astronomy. The UA’s College of Optical Sciences is one of a few in the nation that offer this kind of program to undergraduate students.

During her time at the UA, Bradley has been involved in many research projects in the optics college including helping develop parts to a camera that will be used by NASA for application in outer space. Her main contribution was in the in-jet propulsion and aerosol retrieval aspects of the camera.

“”It was great to be part of the NASA crowd,”” Bradley said.

She is also an officer of the UA’s Student Optics Chapter and is involved in helping the community understand more about science.

“”I got to build a laser maze for kids to walk though and that was a lot of fun for me,”” Bradley said. “”So I feel there are a lot of opportunities here to do things other than research like presentations and demos.””

After graduation, Bradley will be traveling to Boston to intern for the Lincoln Laboratory at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to help with optical engineering designs that will be used in satellites.

“”It will be quite the experience,”” Bradley said. “”I am really excited and expect to be working with more hands-on technology than I am used to.””

After her internship, Bradley will be returning back to the UA to begin her graduate degree in optics. As part of her thesis, she will be testing and preparing camera kits for NASA and will be heavily involved in researching aerosol retrieval.   

Bradley said she is happy with the experience the UA has provided thus far and hopes other students will make use with what the school can provide for them.   

“”I feel it is a very tight-knit community, and you have a lot of opportunity to grow if you take advantage of every resource offered,”” Bradley said.