Shelton prepares for inauguration tomorrow

The UA inaugurated Theodore B. Comstock as its first president in 1894. Now, 112 years later, President Robert Shelton prepares to be sworn in as the 19th president.

Former President Peter Likins said he has positive memories of his inauguration nine years ago.

“”The opening words of my inauguration were repeated to me during my retirement,”” Likins said. “”I said, ‘Hang on, folks, we’re going to take a little ride together,’ and we sure did. Robert is going to have a positive experience too.””

Shelton, who took office July 1, was not available for an interview yesterday.

Gov. Janet Napolitano, Tucson Mayor Bob

The opening words of my inauguration were repeated to me during my retirement. I said, ‘Hang on folks, we’re going to take a little ride together,’ and we sure did. Robert is going to have a positive experience too.

– Peter Likins,
    former president

Walkup and Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon will speak at the ceremony, along with members of the Arizona Board of Regents. Shelton will also deliver his inaugural address during the formal ceremony, according to a news release.

Seating will be open to the public on a first-come, first-served basis, and the ceremony will take place in Centennial Hall from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., according to the release.

A reception will follow on the lawn of the Arizona State Museum, according to the President’s Inauguration Committee.

“”It’ll be a celebration,”” Likins said. “”I’m sure there will be music, dancing and a general sense of celebration.””

All faculty participating in the procession to the inauguration ceremony are asked to wear academic robes because it is a traditional academic ceremony, according to a memo from the President’s Inauguration Committee.

Preparing for an inauguration is similar to preparing for a commencement ceremony, said Johnny Cruz, a UA spokesman.

“”It’s a campuswide effort,”” Cruz said. “”Speakers will represent students and faculty groups, members of the Parents’ Association and the board of regents. They all have a piece in the ceremony.””

Likins said the transition from him to Shelton has been smooth so far.

“”He and I have very similar academic backgrounds,”” Likins said. “”I think we think alike in many ways.””

During the inauguration, Shelton will be dressed in traditional academic robes, as have all former UA presidents, Likins said.

“”It is kind of an ancient tradition,”” Likins said. “”You wear the robes of the university that you receive your highest degree of education in. Everyone’s robes have a different design and color scheme depending on where they got their highest degree from.””