Police Beat

Man ejected from ILC after lying face down in food

A man was removed from the ILC, March 25 at 11:18 p.m.

Police responded to the Manuel T. Pacheco Integrated Learning Center in reference to a man who was lying face down in his food.

When police arrived, they made contact with a UA employee who said that he wanted the man out of the ILC. The employee told officers that he did not want the man back in the ILC because he did not use the facility as it was intended and he was distracting to students.

Police made contact with the man who became belligerent towards the officers. He appeared disoriented and was unsure as to why he had to leave the area. He told police that all he was doing was watching movies. Officers told the man that they had come to the library to check on him because he was face down in his food and people were not sure if he was dead or alive. The man calmed down once police explained that they just wanted to make sure he was ok.

The man periodically blurted out random statements giving the appearance that he was upset and angry. Each time he did this, police just told him they wanted to make sure he was ok and he would calm down.

The man was escorted out of the building. He was told he could not return to the library anymore or he would be arrested for trespassing.

Man arrested on charges of indecency in library

A man was arrested on two charges, March 25 at 4:19 a.m.

Police responded to the UA Main Library in reference to a man allegedly masturbating. When they arrived they met with a woman who said she witnessed the act.

The woman was emotionally upset, crying and being held for comfort by a library employee.

After she gathered her composure, she told police that she had been working on a computer with her back to the man. She heard some banging noises a few times and demonstrated the noise by hitting the desk. The woman said she turned around and saw the man with his hands down his pants, touching his genitals. She immediately got up and told the library staff about the incident.

Police then made contact with the man and transported him to the UA police station for questioning. He said that he had originally gone to the library to hang out with his sister. When she left at 2:47 a.m. he was hanging out with other friends. He saw that they were doing some work, so he decided to leave them alone. He moved to a different computer to use the internet.

The man said that he was looking at pornography. He told police that he got aroused and had an erection, but he was not masturbating. Instead, he said he was “”scratching his nuts”” over his pants because he said he had a rash. Police said they would take pictures of the rash for evidence, but the man declined.

The man was given an exclusionary order banning him from any UA owned, rented or controlled property. He was taken to the Pima County Jail where he was booked on charges of public sexual indecency and interference/disruption of an educational institution.

Intoxicated woman cited for shoplifting

A woman was cited and released for shoplifting and being a minor in possession of alcohol, March 25 at 3:45 a.m.

Police arrived at the Highland Market, 525 N. Highland Ave, and spoke to an employee who said that at around 3:00 a.m., he saw a woman walking around the aisle grabbing bags of chips, opening each bag and eating them. The woman had tried to exit out of a locked backdoor without paying for the chips. When she noticed the door was locked, she walked to the cashier line with chips in hand. Shortly after, the woman got out of line and walked out of the front door without paying for the chips.

The employee followed the woman outside and asked her if she was going to pay for the chips. She said yes, and walked back into the store. The employee noticed that the woman smelt of intoxicants. When she got to the cashier and was told her total, she told him that she did not have any money, credit or debit card to pay for the chips. The woman was asked to sit in the eating area so UAPD could be contacted.

Police made contact with the woman. They also noticed a strong odor of intoxicants coming from the woman. When asked what was going on, the woman said, “”I don’t know officer. I think I drank too much.””

The woman told officers that she had drank about five beers that evening. She also said, “”Officer, I’m not like this, I never would have taken those chips if I had not been drinking. I don’t know what I was doing.””

The woman was cited and released on scene. The bags of chips were returned to the employee who reported the incident. The total cost of the chips was $12.16.