Top 5 picks of the week

Whatever you do this weekend, don’t go see “”Wild Hogs.”” Sure, you might like John Travolta or William H. Macy, but this flick looks like a load of crap. If Hollywood thinks it can throw a group of respected actors in a bad movie and make tons of cash … well, they’re probably right. Anyway, check out one of these movies instead.

“”Zodiac””

Acclaimed director David Fincher (“”Fight Club,”” “”Seven,””) is back with another smart thriller. This one is based on the real-life “”Zodiac”” killer whomurdered several people in California in the late 1960s. With the movie’s running time of 160 minutes, be sure to stop by the bathroom before entering the theater.

“”Black Snake Moan””

Christina Ricci plays a sex-crazed woman. Samuel L. Jackson plays a character who chains up said woman. Justin Timberlake is there, too. This one has “”winner”” written all over it.

“”Death Race 2000″”

This 1975 B-movie shows a year 2000 in which a government-sponsored competition encourages murder by automobile. Check out this cult classic starring Sylvester Stallone this weekend at The Loft Cinema.

“”The Departed””

It’s hard to hear anyone talk about current movies without hearing about this one. Director Martin Scorsese deservedly won his first Best Director Academy Award for this drama Sunday. Now, it’s playing at the bargain theaters.

“”Apocalypto””

If you’re looking to stay on campus this weekend, UA’s Gallagher Theater is showing a few screenings of this Mel Gibson epic. Local anthropologists shouldn’t consider going to see this Oscar-nominated film if they’re in the mood for an accurate description of the Mayan culture.

-compiled by Patrick Valenzuela