Review: Drake’s ‘Views’ was good, despite being too hyped up prior to release

Young Money Entertainment
    Album artwork for Drake’s fourth album “Views” released to iTunes on Friday, April 29.

The year-and-nine-months, agonizing wait is over. Drake’s Views is finally here.

Drizzy went back to Toronto to analyze love and heartache, and give us an hour and a half of tweetable lyrics. But, despite the album teasers and singles released, Views was too hyped up by Twitter and media outlets all around.

That doesn’t mean it isn’t good. It just isn’t as good as we thought it would be. Views is darker than past albums, with more sentimental and seductively slow songs than volume-up bangers. Drake is finally showing us what he’s meant to do — what he wants to sound like. He has found his niche by changing up his style of dancehall bangers.

In a Beats 1 interview with Zane Lowe, Drake said, “the album is based around the change of the seasons in our city. … Winter to summer and back to winter again.”

This explains the mixture of sadness and hype that Views has to offer.

Views has the light and danceable single “One Dance” that is an example of his style change. This dancehall favorite might be one of the best of Views, as its tropical beat enters your soul and makes your heart smile.

“Redemption” is the song you listen to as you type your ex a text. Bad, Drake. Bad. This song is about his exes that don’t live in Texas, but Toronto — the 6. The exes that broke his heart and his bank account. “They would sell my secrets for a tropical vacation/
Sell my secrets back to me if I was payin’” Who can Drake trust? Is this why Drizzy has trust issues? Well, now we have trust issues.

Thanks.

“Controlla” is another dancehall track coming off of Views. This track gives off tropical vibes with a hint of [fake] patois going on in the middle and at the end, but as heard on his mixtape, If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late, Drizzy seems to get away with it. Because he’s Drake, he makes it work and it doesn’t sound cheesy. It’s sexy and smooth and is a favorite off Views.

Another dancehall/Jamaican-vibe song, Drake’s duo with Rihanna makes us miss the “Take Care” days. “Too Good” delivers us a beautiful broken-heart ballad by the duo that was always meant to be. Let’s hope for a Rihanna and Drake duo album in the future.

Drake ends this album with his most popular song to date, “Hotline Bling,” the song that changed Drake fans, GIFs and house parties forever.

Love Drake even more now? We do too.

Champagne Papi is coming to Phoenix Sep. 6 to perform a sold out show at Talking Stick Resort Arena. Sell some bone marrow to get those scalper tickets, Team Drizzy.

Follow Mariel Bustamante on Twitter.