Koloko’s dominant performance leads’ Arizona MBB past Northern Colorado

Nathanial Stenchever

Christian Koloko, a sophomore on the Arizona men’s basketball team, takes a hook shot over a Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros defender on Friday, Nov. 12, in McKale Center. The Wildcats lead at the half 49-24.

Arizona’s men’s basketball team defeated Northern Colorado with a score of 101-76. With this win, Arizona is now 10-0 to start the 2021-22 season.  

In the first half, Arizona started good, as they went up 14-6 before suffering Northern Colorado’s break that gave the visitors a single point advantage. Arizona reacted strong carried by two triples in a row by Kerr Kriisa and closed the first half up 52-42.

N. Colorado came off strong again in the second half thanks to an amazing performance of Daylen Kountz, who scored 33 points in the game. During the last seven minutes of the game, the visitors couldn’t contain Arizona, in which Tommy Lloyd’s team went off on a 30-9 break to wrap up the match. 

Arizona turned the ball over 11 times in the game and collected 44 rebounds, almost doubling Colorado’s 24. Arizona shot 53% from the field (39/73) with 36% (8/22) from the 3-point-line and 79% from free throws (15/19). The last digit bounced back over 70% after a creepy mid-60% against Illinois.

Christian Koloko led Arizona with 19 points and eight rebounds, playing great after a disappointing game versus Illinois. Kerr Kriisa and Azulas Tubelis scored respectively 17 and 16, while Bennedict Mathurin – perhaps stuffed after feasting with personal prizes in the last two weeks – was limited to 11 points and nine rebounds. Both Dalen Terry and Justin Kier went in double digits too (12 and 13).

Next up: Arizona will face California Baptist in McKale on Saturday before starting a four-games-road trip against Tennesse next Wednesday. 

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter