Arizona runners train rigorously as indoor season approaches

J&L PHOTOGRAPHY

Jen Bergman Track

With the cross-country season completed and the competitive indoor season beginning, Arizona distance runners have been training rigorously.

Runners Jen Bergman and Sam Macaluso have adjusted their bodies and lifestyles in order to be more successful.

According to distance coach James Li, the runners’ workout is anywhere from 50 to 100 miles a week. Two to three times a week, the runners have double days, which means they have an early morning run to complement an afternoon workout.

Bergman, a senior, was at her highest training level this season, running around 80 miles a week, an increase from her consistent 70 miles.

“If someone had told me when I was a freshman in high school that I would be running 80 miles … I would’ve said, ‘No way,’” Bergman said.

Bergman said that after coming to college, she learned how to eat healthy from her teammates. Then when she moved into a house her sophomore year, Bergman began cooking more, rather than eating out.

“I’ve never dieted before,” Bergman said. “I just try to eat healthy. But I try to avoid fast food for meals.”

Along with eating right, Macaluso, a sophomore, said that getting enough sleep is one of the keys to recovering from an intense workout. Macaluso said he regularly gets to bed before 10 p.m.

In order to do this, he takes advantage of any free time he has during the day to stay on top of assignments for classes.

Runners also have other ways to recover physically from rigorous workouts. Bergman said that after a long run, they spend 10 minutes in an ice bath and that they receive massages every other week in order to prevent injuries.

Li said that when he looks for a great distance runner, he looks for someone who is diligent, dedicated and willing to make the necessary sacrifices.

“If you want to be a normal student and do what everyone does, then you’re not going to be runners,” Li said. “It’s that simple. Not everyone can be a great runner.”

But Macaluso said the sacrifices were worth it for the races that made all the work pay off.

“There’s nothing that’s more rewarding than setting a personal best or having a good race,” Macaluso said. “That’s what keeps me running. It’s something that becomes almost addictive.”