Women’s guard will leave Cats

Kelsey Burns
    Kelsey Burns

Arizona women’s basketball guard Kelsey Burns is transferring from Arizona, UA head coach Joan Bonvicini confirmed in a phone interview yesterday.

“”This was done on mutual terms for both of us,”” Bonvicini said. “”I think it’s in the best interest for both of us.””

Though the sophomore would not comment on the situation, Burns also confirmed the transfer yesterday afternoon.

The 5-foot-11 Burns averaged 7.3 minutes per game in 15 appearances off the bench for the Wildcats (11-21, 4-14 Pacific 10 Conference) during the 2006-07 season. While averaging 1.8 points per game, she never toed the foul line or collected an assist.

Her best game of the season came against then-No. 9 Stanford on Jan. 25 when she scored 10 points on 4-of-8 shooting and knocked down two of five three-point attempts in 20 minutes.

The Seattle native enjoyed a more successful freshman season, when she played in 27 games, starting three. She averaged 4.1 points and 1.6 rebounds in 11.7 minutes per game and was named Arizona’s Freshman of the Year.

One of the most memorable highlights of her Arizona career occurred outside of a regulation game nearly a year ago, on April 7, during Arizona’s Lame for a Game in McKale Center.

The game, put on to support wheelchair athletics, featured the Arizona men’s and women’s basketball teams and Arizona men’s and women’s wheelchair basketball teams. Burns was hoisted by men’s basketball forward Fendi Onobun during the game as she unsuccessfully attempted to dunk because she had “”the most hops on the girls team,”” Onobun said.

“”Kelsey’s a great kid, and we wish her the best,”” Bonvicini said.