Arizona Wildcats top Pac-12 power rankings

1. No. 1 Arizona (17-0, 4-0 Pac-12)

At 17-0 the Wildcats are off to their best start in school history. It’ll take their worst finish in school history to end up out of the top four in the conference. But with such a short bench Arizona is just one key injury away from risking that.

2. No. 25 UCLA (13-3, 2-1)

First year head coach Steve Alford acquired a lot when he took over the Bruins. However, unless they can fix some defensive woes they’ll struggle going far in a conference that has a flurry of top-tier offenses.

3. Oregon (13-3, 1-3)

With so many freshmen and transfers the Ducks have struggled early in conference play. That being said, they are too talented to not compete at the end of the season.

4. California (12-4, 3-0)

You can never count out a Mike Montgomery coached team. Despite not being the most talented team he has found a way to get enough out of his players to make them competitive. Point guard Justin Cobbs and forward Richard Solomon are real NBA talents.

5. No. 21 Colorado (14-3, 3-1)

Spencer Dinwiddie’s season ending knee injury crushes the Buffaloes. They still have a strong squad in both the front and backcourt but the likelihood they’ll finish in the top four of the conference after losing their leader is highly unlikely.

6. Washington (11-6, 3-1)

Even though the Huskies have one of the slimmest and shortest frontcourts in the conference, they’ve found a way to surprise their low early season expectations. It’s still hard seeing them be a real threat to any school that is strong at rebounding, though.

7. Stanford (10-5. 1-2)

The Cardinal have some impressive wins on their resume. Stanford went to then No. 10 UConn and won, and then defeated a No. 17 ranked Oregon squad on the road. They also have some not so impressive losses too. If they can shake this Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde characteristic then maybe they’ll rise in the power rankings.

8. ASU (13-4, 2-2)

At the end of the day the Sun Devils still have point guard Jahii Carson and center Jordan Bachynski. They can upset any team in the conference with that combo and they have a nice opportunity tonight at the McKale Center.

9. Utah (12-4, 1-3)

The Utes’ junior college transfer Delon Wright might wear braces but he’ll be a household name by the end of the season. Utah isn’t there yet but they should finish the season near the middle of the conference.

10. Washington State (8-8, 1-3)

The Cougars embarrassing loss to Arizona on Jan. 2 where they only scored 25 points isn’t the fairest judgment of them. But it’s not that far off. WSU is pretty bad and UA is pretty good.

11. Oregon State (9-7, 1-3)

Head coach Craig Robinson may want to call his brother-in-law, President Obama, soon, because he may be in search of a job if the Beavers can’t drastically turn this season around.

12. USC (9-7, 0-3)

First year head coach Andy Enfield’s previous school, Florida Gulf Coast, got the nickname “Dunk Cty” during the 2013 NCAA tournament. USC isn’t Dunk City yet, or even close to making the NCAA tournament.

Follow Luke Della @LukeDella