Arizona swimming hosts Hawaii in dual-meet this weekend

Turki Allugman
Turki Allugman / Arizona Daily Wildcat UA swim team practices at the Hillenbrand Aquatic Center.

Arizona’s swimming program is considered one of the best in the nation, as it has finished in the top 10 every year since 1998 and acquired at least one individual national championship every year since 2004.

This weekend, the Wildcats return to the pool to host Hawaii in a dual-meet tournament on Friday and Saturday at Hillenbrand Aquatics Center. Competition on Friday will run from 2-4 p.m. and resume from 10 a.m-12 p.m. Saturday.

Despite finishing fourth in the nation last year, head coach Eric Hansen still believes his team can do better.

“My hope is for us to finish in the top three this year,” Hansen said. “It’s going to be a lot of fun to watch. Some of these guys have been training nonstop since trials. We are looking forward to showing what we are capable of.

“My goal for the meet is to just find out where everyone is at,” Hansen added. “I’m pretty happy with what I’m seeing in training, but racing is obviously a different thing. I’m excited to see our freshmen compete in their first college events. It should be fun.”

Hansen is looking to freshmen like Andrew Sovero and Kelly Moodie to rise to the occasion.

“I know that this program is a big change for both of them,” Hansen said. “I think they are both really talented and will swim well this weekend. I’m looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.”

With the dual-meet, the Wildcats’ stamina will be tested, as most of the team is expected to perform in multiple heats.

“The majority of our kids are going to swim up to six events,” Hansen said. “I’d say that would be the challenge. I think they are pretty sharp. We’re going to truly see how fit they are in term of endurance as well.”