Women’s tennis dominates NAU at home

Arizona women’s tennis dominated against NAU on Thursday as the Wildcats came out on top 2-0 in doubles and 6-0 in singles.

NAU had a slow start with doubles that Arizona took advantage of.

“Winning that doubles point has certainly been a goal of ours, and you may not always win it, but you want to always go down swinging,” said Arizona women’s tennis coach Vicky Maes. “Today, we had a positive outcome, and we have to take that into next week.”

In singles on court one, two and three, which consisted of No. 115-ranked Lauren Marker, Briar Preston and Laura Oldham, the matches were well-played, as the women stuck to the basics.

On court four, Shayne Austin struggled with her confidence and needed to learn to come out with more energy, Maes said.

Inge Hendrikx, who played on court six, had a slow start going down 4-1 and ended up winning 6-4 and 6-1.

Playing on court five, Devinh Chypyha started out strong en route to winning 6-0 but had some issues with her focus.

“I was getting a little frustrated, which is definitely something I need to work on,” Chypyha said. “That was one of the difficulties today, certainly, to think patient.”

Playing her opponent, Livia Hollosy, Chypyha had to make some adjustments to her own game to make sure she came out with a victory.

“She liked it when I hit the ball harder at her, and she wanted to hit long rallies, so I was like, ‘OK, I’m just going to hit with her, get your ball on the court, deep high ball and see how it goes,’” Chypyha said. “Basically, that’s how I broke her down in the end, because I just played more of her game right back at her.”

Currently undefeated in singles, Chypyha tries not to think about it or let her record affect her game.

“It’s been great,” she said. “I’ve been trying not to think about it took much, because now I’m like, ‘Oh my gosh, I just want to stay undefeated.’ It’s been fun. I just go out there and play for the team, and this is just how it’s worked out. It’s pretty good.”

The Wildcats have their first conference match next week but are currently 8-1 heading to play Colorado State, which, according to Maes, is a nice place to be.

“I’m not ecstatic with how we played today; I think NAU kind of gave it to us, to be honest,” Maes said. “We didn’t have to battle hard, and we weren’t tested the way we have been tested before, so I’m happy with the win, but I don’t think we should linger too much on it and be ready to work hard and get our focus into next week.”

_______________

Follow Stevie Katz on Twitter.