Emmy award-winning journalist shares her story at TFOB

Courtesy Jean Guerrero

Jean Guerrero, investigative immigration journalist for KPBS, is an Emmy Award winner and the author of “Crux: A Cross-Border Memoir,” which will be featured in this year’s Tucson Festival of Books March 2-3.

Winner of the 2016 PEN/FUSION Emerging Writers Award, Guerrero’s memoir centers around her personal journey to discover her own mystic family history while searching to understand her haunted father and save his memory.          

RELATED: Transfer students visit Gem Show with UA geologist

Through memories, stories of family from across the border and a serious investigation into her father’s claims of CIA mind-control operations, Guerrero paints a riveting narrative that tells the story of borders — between families, magic and reality, tale and truth and the U.S. and Mexico.

Guerrero is the winner of two Emmys, a former correspondent in Mexico City and was named “Latina Journalist on the Rise” in 2018 by CCNMA. She contributes to major public media outlets around the world like NPR, PBS and The World.

Her reporting has been influential in documenting the reality of the U.S./Mexico Border. Guerrero’s work was cited in a Congressional Inquiry in February of 2018 regarding President Donald Trump’s separations of families at the border long before the subject garnered national attention. 

RELATED: The UA School of Art makes its way to the Tucson Festival of Books

Guerrero will be featured in two panels during this year’s Festival of Books.

She will share the stage with memoirists Roberta Gately and Reyna Grande at “Beyond Borders and Refugees” on Saturday at 1 p.m. in the University of Arizona Special Collections Library, where she will speak on her experiences with immigration as an immigration reporter and the daughter of immigrants. Signings will take place in the Integrated Learning Area following the presentation.

On Sunday at 11:30 a.m. at the Nuestras Raíces Presentation Stage in front of Bear Down Gymnasium, Guerrero will also be featured in “They Persisted: A Journey Toward Home,” where she will share her experience searching for the American Dream. Signings will take place afterwards in the Pima County Public Library sales and signings tent.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter