Hot ‘n’ not Feb. 11

Cecilia+Alvarez%2F+The+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0AKristen+Klarenbach+performed+on+behalf+of+the+gymcats+against+Washington+on+Feb.+1.+
Cecilia Alvarez
Cecilia Alvarez/ The Daily Wildcat Kristen Klarenbach performed on behalf of the gymcats against Washington on Feb. 1.

Hot
Arizona men’s basketball bounced back from its loss against Cal and defeated Oregon and Oregon State during the weekend. With starting forward Brandon Ashley out, Arizona has made adjustments to continue its season and was able to out-score Oregon State on Sunday by 22. Arizona improved to a 23-1 record for the season.

Arizona women’s basketball upset No. 11 ASU 68-49 on Sunday. It was the first win over ASU since 2011 and the first time Arizona has beaten a ranked team since 2005, when it beat No. 19 UCLA.

The Arizona softball team started its season and swept its opponent Southern Miss. On Friday Arizona defeated Southern Miss 9-0, Saturday 14-2 and Sunday 12-0. In total Arizona out-scored Southern Miss 35-2 in only 15 innings.

No. 73 Arizona women’s tennis team is undefeated after sweeping Sacramento State 4-0 on Saturday. Arizona took all three doubles matches, 6-1, 6-48 and 6-2, early in the competition.

The Arizona men’s tennis team improved its record to 7-5 on the year after the victory over UC Santa Barbara on Sunday.

The Arizona swimming and diving teams defeated ASU on Saturday. The men beat the Sun Devils 158.5-116.5 and the women beat ASU 171.5-105.5.

Not
The No. 13 Arizona gymnastics team fell to No. 4 Utah 197.825-194.425 on Friday. Head coach Bill Ryden said he thought the team was nervous, which he hadn’t seen before. Arizona had four falls on beam.

No. 12 Arizona hockey head coach Sean Hogan was ejected from a game for the first time in his 11 years of coaching on Thursday when the Wildcats fell to Colorado State. The referees had called nine consecutive penalties on Arizona and ignored Hogan’s requests for explanations.

The Phoenix Coyotes lost to the Dallas Stars 2-1 on Saturday, just before the Olympic break.

The Oregon men’s basketball team suffered a loss against ASU during the weekend, but the coaches were upset over something other than the loss. An ASU student reportedly spit on an Oregon assistant coach and athletic trainer after the Sun Devils defeated the Ducks 74-72.

The Olympic halfpipe practice was postponed on Monday due to complaints from the riders. The riders said the halfpipe is too vertical on the sides, ing rough landings and difficulty going in to the next jump. The riders had been asking for the workers to fix the pipe since the first day of practice Saturday.

—Follow Rose Aly Valenzuela @RoseAlyVal