Police Beat: November 1

Sorry for party rockin’

A University of Arizona Police Department officer and an Oro Valley Police Department officer were patrolling on bicycles near Vine Avenue and Second Street between 11:50 a.m. and 12:20 p.m. on Oct. 27 when they noticed people going in and out of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon house. The officers stopped to tell them they weren’t allowed to bring alcoholic drinks out of the house.

Although officers heard and saw a number of people in the house, there was nobody guarding the door. Furthermore, several women walked in unescorted, leading the officers to believe there was a party. They then saw two men walk into the house.

Two minutes later, one of the men was seen leaving by another door and lighting a cigarette. The UAPD officer approached the man, who identified himself with an Arizona driver’s license.

The other officer stopped the other man, who was also exiting the house. He discovered that the second man had two outstanding arrest warrants, and when the officer searched him, he found a baggie containing two small pills, a cut straw and a rolled-up $20 bill covering another half a pill. The pills were not consistent with prescription medication and appeared poorly made. The man said they were medication for strong headaches.

The officer believed the pills to be narcotics, and placed them into evidence.

The officers spoke with several house members, but all said they didn’t know the two men. The officers then asked to speak with an executive member of the fraternity, but none was available, so they met with a sober affiliate. The man said he didn’t know the two men, but did see them enter and exit the house. When the officers started asking if the party was a sanctioned event and why no members were manning the door, the man became irritated.

Following the officers’ requests, fraternity members contacted the chapter president, advising him to shut down the event and empty the house, and he complied.

The man with the pills was arrested for his warrants in addition to charges of possession of a dangerous drug and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was taken to Pima County Jail and booked.

Don’t forget to flush

A UAPD officer stopped a man urinating on a wall and sidewalk near North Park Avenue and South Campus Drive at 5:55 p.m. on Oct. 27. The man, a non-UA affiliate, saw the officer’s patrol car and sidestepped to try to conceal himself. The officer activated his emergency lights, pulled up alongside the man and asked him to stop.

The man started running, but he wasn’t moving very fast and was noticably staggering from side to side. Once again, the officer pulled alongside him, telling him to stop, and this time the man obeyed.

The man identified himself with a California driver’s license. The officer noted the man’s slurred speech and pale face and a strong odor of alcohol around him, and told him to lean against a wall and zip up his fly.

The officer told the man he had seen him urinating near a four-way intersection, in plain view of the public, and that he was lucky no children had been around. The man agreed, explaining that he used a wall rather than a restroom because he needed to “let his system flush.”

The man was cited and released.