Track spreads itself across three states

The men’s and women’s track teams will be split across four cities this weekend.

The throwers will make the short trip up to Mesa to compete in the Mesa Classic today and the sprinters, hurdlers and jumpers will travel to El Paso, Texas, for the UTEP Invitational tomorrow.

The distance team will split and participate in the Mt. Sac Relays in Walnut, Calif., and the Rafer Johnson/JJK Invite in Los Angeles.

“”I’m a team guy,”” UA head coach Fred Harvey said. “”I love seeing the team together, but that’s not necessarily the most conducive thing sometimes for qualifying.””

Arizona has already qualified 11 athletes from the No. 4 men’s team and eight athletes from the women’s team for the NCAA West Region Championships May 25-26.

Harvey will travel to the UTEP Invitational, which he described as a high-level meet that will be much smaller than the Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays April 6-7.

“”Historically, we’ve had good meets (at the Mt. Sac relays),”” said associate head coach James Li, who will bounce between the two California meets.

UA director of track and field operations Francesca Green will also accompany the distance contingent in California.

Senior Jake Arnold will head to the UTEP Invitational to compete in the 100m, long jump, pole vault and 4×400m relay.

“”I know I’m faster than my times have shown this year,”” said Arnold, who added that he will focus on improving his speed before the West Region Championships.

Arnold will also concentrate on the long jump, which he said has given him trouble recently in the decathlon.