Club hockey team seeks new players

The Arizona club hockey team will enter its 30th season under head coach Leo Golembiewski. The team is looking to improve upon a 22-8 record from last year, in which the team finished the season ranked No. 22 in the American Collegiate Hockey Association.

But that was not enough to get the team into ACHA National Tournament, where the top 16 teams qualify.

In an effort to reach that threshold, the coaching staff is looking for players for this upcoming season. A meeting will be held today at 4 p.m. on the fourth floor of the Student Union Memorial Center in the Ventana room for all new, returning and interested players.

“”We look forward to returning to Nationals this season,”” Golembiewski said. “”Our goal is to win 25 to 26 games this year because last year our 22 wins wasn’t enough to qualify us for Nationals.””

The team has qualified for the ACHA National Tournament just once in the last five years. The Icecats’ last appearance was in the 2005-06 season, when they finished in 12th place.

Health and consistency are the main keys for the Icecats to become a national contender this upcoming season. Golembiewski said the team’s three main contributors from last season -ÿgoalie Nick Boddy, forward Robbie Nowinski, and forward Matt Conover – will all be returning, making the push toward the postseason a greater possibility.