Q&A: UA junior brings her fashion sense online with 22 Boutique

Press+Photo
    Press Photo

Few college students can claim they have their own clothing line. That makes costume design major Nicole Suerez the exception with an online and local, fashion-forward brand in 22 Boutique.

Q: Why did you decide to create your brand?

A: It was first a way to build a portfolio. Then it developed into friends and others appreciating my craft and became a way to also develop my skills as a seamstress and designer.

Q: What is the process of having an idea for a garment and making it become reality?

A: Usually, I start with a sketch and general idea, and I adapt my pattern blocks. Also, a lot of it is playing with new seams, draping and just playing with the fabric I have.

Q: What is your most-sold item?

A: Definitely the maxi skirt that is online! It is sheer and you can specify a color. Also, I make this “turband” accessory that a lot of people seem to be really fond of. When I got started on the boutique, I put out a promo for the panties. Now, every 50 likes on the boutique’s Facebook page, I give a pair of undies away. Or they are one for $8 and three for $22.

Q: Do you make your clothes pre-ordered?

A: Sometimes. I will adapt the pattern to each person’s size if they specify a certain need. The price of the item is not affected at all though for a more customized order.

Q: What inspires your designs?

A: Tumblr! OK, that was kind of a joke, but social media definitely helps. Current trends, things that I want to emulate and incorporating my style into one garment. Q: What do you hope will happen with your brand?

A: I would like to keep this as more of a local brand and possibly sell my aprons to some of the stores on 4th Avenue. It is just so difficult to keep up with a busy class schedule.

Q: Why did you choose to make your own website rather than using a site like Etsy?

A: I found it was difficult to get people to stay on my page on Etsy because of the search bar. Etsy is a great site, it has a lot of really unique and original things on it, but it just has so many products on it that it is less personalized. I was trying to go for something more localized.

Q: Who are your favorite designers?

A: Oh … That’s a really hard question. [Alexander] McQueen — I love the way they have developed their brand. Also, [Christian] Dior circa the 1960’s. I love a lot of French designers from that time.
    Q: Is there a reason for that?

A: It has a lot to do with my major [costume design]. I am very passionate about the way that styles evolve.

Q: Which fall trends are you most excited for?

A: I know it’s totally cliche but I absolutely love knits. You can knit everything! But I am also excited for warm tones again. It’s just kind of difficult because the weather in Arizona is just so atypical that it’s hard to immediately dress for fall.

You can find 22 Boutique online at www.twentytwoboutique.com and on Facebook!

Follow us on Twitter @wildcatarts and follow Alexandra @alex82492.