Taekwondo hauling in awards

Under the bright lights of Las Vegas, the Arizona American Taekwondo Association Club team shone perhaps just as bright, as the group won 13 medals in the ATA National Championship Tournament during spring break.

“”We take a lot of pride in representing the club and the university,”” said junior and club treasurer Heidi Lyons. “”Everyone was happy with their performances and we’re all very proud of our performance as a club.””

The club took medals in extreme forms, extreme weapons, traditional forms, traditional weapons and sparring. They took seven competitors to nationals and five of those competitors at least placed in their respective events.

Junior Simon Domsky dominated throughout the entire weekend as he won medals in five different events, taking first place in four of the events and second in sparring. This was Domsky’s first national tournament and he has only has been with the club since the fall semester.

“”It shows my ability to listen and it also shows my instructor’s abilities to teach,”” said Domsky of his success at nationals.

Lyons also competed well in her first national performance as she took first place in extreme weapons and extreme forms. Though Lyons gave a solid showing at the tournament, she wasn’t able to celebrate with her teammates due to a dislocated left shoulder after landing a left hook during competition.

“”Everyone was celebrating Saturday night, but I was all messed up in the hospital bed,”” Lyons said. “”It was one of the better matches that I’ve ever been a part of. I got hurt, but it was cool because I did well in all my events.””

Lyons will not compete again this semester because she is expected to have surgery on her shoulder, an injury she said has been recurring during the past few years.

Another competitor who did well in the competition was exchange student Daniel Keefe. Officially a student at Oregon State and attending the UA for the spring semester, Keefe came in first in weapons.

“”I’m really proud of taking first in weapons, which is a great accomplishment for me because I’ve never taken first in anything in my life,”” Keefe said. “”I’ll take this as a victory for Arizona, and Oregon State also.””

The club’s next competition will be it’s last competition of the semester – April 11 at the Regional Tournament in Phoenix.

“”It’s a big confidence-booster walking away from nationals with 13 medals,”” Lyons said, “”and the club can ride the confidence into the regional tournament.””