Police Beat: September 10

If the plebes don’t get you…

A student was cited and released for minor in possession of alcohol in body at 11 p.m. on Aug. 30. A University of Arizona Police Department officer was patrolling the Zone 1 parking lots when he heard a man yell, “Plebes!” at two people in an angry tone. His feet were spread apart, with his arms raised in an aggressive manner.

Another UAPD officer was called to the scene. The officers spoke with the man who said he was upset because he is a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon but his friend was not accepted into the fraternity.

The officers noticed that his eyes were watery and bloodshot and his breath smelled like alcohol. He then admitted to having a few beers earlier that night. A breath test showed that the man had alcohol in his body. The other two men were also members of the fraternity and told officers they were going to take him home. He was then cited and released.

A code of conduct violation was filed to be turned in to the Dean of Students.

Signal fail

A UA student was arrested for driving under the influence at 2:19 a.m. on Aug. 31.

A UAPD officer was heading westbound when he noticed a vehicle fail to signal for a turn onto Speedway Boulevard from Mountain Avenue and enter the second lane instead of the intended third. The UAPD officer then pulled the vehicle over in a parking lot on the northeast corner of Third Avenue and Speedway Boulevard. The officer immediately noticed the woman’s watery, red eyes and the smell of alcohol coming from her breath. The driver claimed that she had not been drinking, but when asked for her information, she had trouble finding her insurance.

After the officer mentioned her inappropriate driving behavior and the smell of alcohol, she admitted to drinking beforehand.

She was asked to exit the vehicle, but did so with difficulty. A second officer was called to assist. The officer gave the woman a field sobriety test, and she registered a .087 and .083 on the Intoxilyzer 8000. The driver was read her Miranda rights and charged with a DUI.

Unique by design

A 41-year-old man was arrested for theft and criminal damage at 6:34 p.m. on Aug. 29. The community service officer at the BioSciences West building called UAPD and reported a man running after someone riding a bicycle. The two subjects were headed east on Lowell Street. The man chasing the cyclist was yelling that he had stolen the bike. When the UAPD officer arrived, the man being chased did not stop the bicycle and continued south on the sidewalk of Highland Avenue.

He looked back at the patrol car chasing after him, but refused to stop. The man then ran into a two-foot retaining wall and fell off the bicycle.

The officer immediately detained the man. The man was carrying a green bicycle cable that had been cut and admitted to taking the bicycle from the BioSciences West building. The man claimed that the bicycle was his and had been stolen from him about two months prior. He said he knew it was his because of the tears on the seat and the fact that it’s unique. He further explained he had bought it at a swap meet and had the receipt at home.

However, after further questioning, he admitted to going back home after seeing the bike earlier that night, grabbing wire cutters and then returning to the bicycle rack so that he could cut the cable lock. As he was riding away, the other man chased him, yelling that it was his bike.

The man being chased said he didn’t want to stop because the bike’s owner was bigger than him, and he didn’t stop for police vehicles because he knew the officers wouldn’t believe his story.

UAPD officers then spoke with the man who had been chasing the thief and he said that the bicycle was his. The community service officer came to the scene and confirmed the two subjects were the men he had seen earlier. The subject who claimed he had found his previously lost bike was arrested. Police took the man’s wire cutters, along with a tool set they found in his backpack, and put them into property and evidence. He was then transported to Pima County Jail.