‘Avenue Q’ keeps audiences laughing

“”Avenue Q”” entertains, excites, pokes fun at, titillates, tantalizes, shocks and generally impresses.

Throughout the show lay the underlying theme of the quest to find one’s purpose. Princeton, a kid right out college and a new tenant on “”Avenue Q,”” attempts to seek his but finds a greater reward along the journey.

“”Avenue Q””
    Broadway in Tucson
    Through Oct. 21
    $11-58, Tucson Music Hall
    Rating: 5 stars!!

“”Q”” features light, bouncy, catchy tunes while characters humorously talk about taboo subjects such as porn, homelessness, homosexuality, sex and “”Schadenfreude.”” Through these songs the show teaches that “”everyone’s a little bit racist,”” sometimes “”people (take) pleasure in your pain”” and that “”everything in life is for now.””

The majority of the actors in the show are puppeteers. It’s amazing to see them work and impressive to think they can do so much with their voices and sing at the same time. Watching all of the actors, dressed in blacks and grays, manipulate the puppets was only a little distracting at first. They are just so talented that you can’t help but watch them as well as the puppets, the true stars of the show.

Artistically, the show is reminiscent of the beloved children’s program “”Sesame Street,”” although no affiliation exists. Not only does “”Q”” have puppets, but also there are cartoon commercials that discuss a person’s purpose and one-night stands and count down to intermission.

Everyone in college or otherwise will roll in their seats when they see “”Avenue Q,”” especially audience members with English degrees. It’s even great for people who do not go to the theater, thanks to its energy, themes and ability to keep the crowd engaged the entire time. Broadway in Tucson has finally brought a show to this city that can bring people running to see a high-quality musical. It is about time.

“”Avenue Q”” can be seen at the Tucson Convention Center Music Hall today at 7:30 p.m., tomorrow at 8 p.m., Saturday at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m., and Sunday at 1 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.

Ticket prices vary and can be purchased through Ticketmaster. Student tickets can be purchased in advance for 50 percent off any section, except for the Saturday evening performance. Rush tickets are also available 90 minutes before each show to anyone for $25 cash.