Police Beat

Police arrested a man and woman for underage drinking and false reporting after they found the pair asleep in a running car outside Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall, 910 E. Fifth St., around 3:30 a.m. Oct. 21.

A woman reported to police that she saw a BMW that had not been turned off with two unresponsive people inside.

When the officer found the car, there was a thick and steady smoke coming from the hood of the vehicle. The officer saw the woman nudge the man who had fallen asleep with his foot on the accelerator; he then took his foot off the pedal but did not wake up.

Police asked the woman for identification but the woman told the officer that she did not have any and gave a fictitious name. Her voice was slow and slurred, her eyes were red and watery, and a moderate odor of intoxicants was coming from her breath. While police gathered the woman’s information, the man tried to exit the vehicle.

He told the officer that he had no identification and that the car belonged to his parents. He gave his real name but a fake birth date to police, saying he was three years older than his actual age.

While the officer gathered the man’s information, the woman grabbed her purse and tried to leave, but the officer told her she could not leave until the records check was complete.

The woman then told the officer that she gave a fake name and provided her real name and birth date. The man told the officer that his birth date was three years later, making him a minor.

While the officer was citing the woman for underage drinking and false reporting, the man fled the scene.

Police informed the man’s father that his son fled the scene of a DUI investigation.

Eight hours later, the man and his parents showed up at UAPD. Police asked if he had drank any alcohol the night before and the man said, “”I want to speak to my lawyer before I answer questions like that,”” according to reports.

Finally, the man was arrested for a DUI, minor in possession of alcohol, providing false information and having an open container in the car. The man said, “”That cup had cranberry juice in it,”” according to reports.

He was then transported to Pima County Jail where he was booked.

Two residents of Pueblo de la Cienega Residence Hall, 621 N. Highland Ave., were diverted to the Dean of Students office for marijuana possession and drug paraphernalia at 12:34 a.m. Wednesday.

The resident assistant on duty showed the officers to the suspected room on the third floor, but when they knocked on the door nobody answered. The officers found one of the residents in another room and asked him and his roommate to return to their room to discuss the smell of burnt marijuana.

Both men admitted to smoking marijuana that night, but one man said they smoked in the room while the other said they smoked outside. The first man told the officer that there was still some marijuana and a pipe belonging to his roommate in the room.

When the officer told one man that his roommate said they had smoked in the room, he responded with a surprised look and voice inflection, “”He told you that,”” according to reports.

The officers decided to divert the two students, but only if they gathered the remaining marijuana and paraphernalia.

One of the men went immediately to his desk and opened his center desk drawer and took out a blue medicine bottle with 19.9 grams of marijuana inside. He then retrieved the multicolored glass pipe from under his bed and turned all of it over to the police.

A Blackjack Pizza delivery driver found a woman’s purse outside of the Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St., and turned it in to police around 9:42 p.m. Tuesday.

It is not known where the purse was found or at what time.

Inside the purse, the officer found a driver’s license, a Visa credit card and a medical benefits card belonging to a woman.

The officer contacted the desk at Coronado and the desk assistant said that the woman was a resident and that she would leave her a message.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.