The Student News Site of University of Arizona

The Daily Wildcat

72° Tucson, AZ

The Daily Wildcat

The Daily Wildcat


    Police Beat

    Woman attempts to use bathroom in UAPD officer’s home

    A student was referred to the Dean of Students Office after attempting to enter an off-duty officer’s home Sept. 11.

    A University of Arizona Police Department officer reported that he had finished working around 5 a.m. and headed home. After being there for approximately five minutes, he heard a knock at his door. The officer had not locked his door behind him, and when he looked to see who was there, he saw a girl with no shoes and ungroomed hair.

    She yelled at the officer to let her in because she had to use the bathroom. The officer said no, that he did not know her and she should use the public bathroom at the Circle K convenience store down the street. She replied, ǪNo, I really have to pee,ǩ and, ǪThis is where the party is at!ǩ

    The woman attempted to make her way into the house. She pushed the door open and said, ǪI really need to use your bathroom,ǩ as she tried to push him aside so she could get past him. The officer pushed her back outside and closed the door.

    He said there was no party there and asked her where she had come from. The woman told the officer that she had crashed into some bushes nearby and was trying to find a bathroom. The woman finally left the property after the officer insisted she go.The officer decided to call the UAPD and let them know about the situation. They said they would inform the Tucson Police Department.

    The officer drove around in his police vehicle and saw no car in any bushes nearby. As he was looking, he saw the same woman in the middle of the street, urinating with her clothes on. The officer went up to the girl and asked her if he could call a friend to pick her up. She gave him a number, but there was no response.

    She informed the officer that she had lost her cell phone, shoes and purse and told him that she needed help. She asked the officer for a ride to her boyfriendís parentsí house because they lived closer than her parents. Because she declined any medical attention, she was taken to their house. Her boyfriendís father answered the door.According to reports, he appeared shocked and disappointed. The officer gave the man his business card and asked him a few questions. He said that the woman was in drum line and had gone to a drum line after-party. He thought she was spending the night there. He thanked the officer and took her into his custody.

    While driving home, the officer found the party the girl had been at because of the music-related license plates and large number of cars in front of the house. No one answered the door, but he left a note with his card saying that he had found the girl and taken her home. The party host and girl both cProxy-Connection: keep-alive
    Cache-Control: max-age=0

    led and thanked him for helping her.

    She was referred to the Dean of Students Office on charges of minor in possession of alcohol.

    Student cited for minor in possession

    Police cited a student after finding him passed out on the floor of a residence hall five days earlier.

    On Sept. 6, police responded to a man passed out in Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall, 922 E. 4th St. Upon arrival, police met with a residence assistant who took them to where the man was lying in the hallway. Officers were able to wake the student, although he was slow to respond and very incoherent. Reports said the student smelled strongly of intoxicants and vomit.

    While the residence assistants attempted to confirm his name and the room in which he lived, the student began to dry-heave as though he was going to vomit. Police walked him toward the restrooms at the other end of the hall, holding him up by his arms.

    They were unable to get the man to the bathroom on time, and he began to vomit outside of the bathroom. Police held the man up while he vomited a few times outside of the bathroom. They noted that there was a very strong smell of alcohol.

    After he finished, the man was more coherent with police, although his speech was slurred. When officers asked if he was OK, he responded that he felt better. When asked what he drank, the student said, ǪI drank too much vodka.ǩ

    Officers took the student to his room and attempted to find his wallet, which they saw in the studentís pocket after searching the room. They asked the man if they could see it and he said yes, but was unable to unhook the button on his pocket. Officers asked if he needed help and he said yes. After getting his information, police told the man that they would come back later in the day to talk to him. They attempted to contact the student later that day and on Sept. 10, but were unsuccessful. After their second try, they left a note on his door. The student called the officers back on Sept. 11, and the police came back to talk to the student.

    They asked him if he had remembered talking to them that night, and he said, ǪNo, because I believe I was drugged that night. When asked why he did not report being drugged, he responded, “”What am I supposed to say?””

    The student was cited and released on minor in possession of alcohol charges.

    Man cited for shoplifting at bookstore

    A man was cited and released on charges of shoplifting at the UofA Bookstore, 1209 E. University Blvd., Sept. 10.

    While doing routine surveillance, an employee saw a man in a gray shirt and gray pants looking at headphones and began to watch him. He was carrying pens and the headset in his left hand when he grabbed a magazine and headed to the cash register.

    As he was walking, he put the pens and headphone into his left pocket. The man paid for the magazine and left. When the student exited the building, he was stopped and asked if he had paid for the items in his pocket. He said no and was taken to the security office. He was asked to empty his pockets, and he laid the pens and headset down. He told officers he felt entitled to the merchandise because the UA takes enough of his money.

    The student also said that he had gone in there with the intentions of getting a magazine and the headset, but decided not to pay for the headphones and pens after walking around.The total of the pens and headset was $15.86.

    He was cited and released on shoplifting charges and was told not to return to the bookstore until authorized to do so by the Dean of Students Office.

    More to Discover
    Activate Search