Pet Corner

Get your heart rate pumping and sweat dripping with your four-legged companion this fall – heat or no. Your dog will love you even more for it.

To feel refreshed on a hot afternoon, bring your dog to the pool and paddle around for a while.

“”If you don’t have a pool in your backyard, get one of those kiddy pools,”” said

Dr. Jim Stofft, a Tucson native and 12-year veterinarian.

Not only is it cooling, but swimming is wonderful exercise for your dog.

“”I have a little pool for Yogi,”” said speech and hearing science senior Michelle Porter, adding that, “”When I’m not home I let him run around in the backyard. It’s really big so it’s good for him.””

Porter has a six-month-old Welsh Corgi.

Let your dog romp around at the dog park. This will burn all his puppy energy and give him social interaction.

“”Dogs are very stoic and they’re happy to be outside, but you have to set limits for them,”” Stofft said. “”You can do things early in the morning, and Tucson in the summer, that’s like at four, five or six.””

If you do go on afternoon hikes, try to go in the early or late hours and bring an extra water bottle.

“”They’re just like us,”” said Dr. Kayla Boyer, who has been a veterinarian for 13 years. “”And we wouldn’t go jogging at two in the afternoon.””

You can see the signs of dehydration and heat exhaustion on your pet, so be aware.

“”Watch the length of your dog’s tongue,”” Boyer said. “”As dogs get hotter they push their tongue further and further out. Also look for wide eyes and a reluctance to participate.””

The best time to take your dog out is after sunset.

“”I take (Yogi) on walks at night when it’s cooled down,”” Porter said. “”But once he gets older, I’m definitely going to take him on hikes. He’s just still a baby.””