‘Crank’ keeps pumping adrenaline

Crank keeps pumping adrenaline

Imagine the work it would take to feed your heart adrenaline 24/7. Chev Chelios (Jason Statham) wakes up one morning to discover that he has been injected with a Chinese poison that will kill him if he stops.

The next 60 minutes of the movie are like a human “”Speed.”” Chev’s attempt to save his life is like the attempt of Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves to save their own, without the bridge jump.

“”Crank”” is one of the smartest action movies to come to theaters this year. The movie has a student-film feel, with all the edgy scenes and smart shots.

The characters are gross exaggerations, which is perfect for a movie that is out of the box. The plot is intriguing, and it works for many reasons, one being that it moves the adventure of the protagonist along at a rapid pace.

lowdown
    ‘Crank’
    Rated R
    87 minutes
    Lionsgate Films

“”Crank”” takes the viewer through all the possible scenarios of how to get a heart pumping. Chev drives at a dangerous speed to find some drugs. He beats up a group of gangsters. Chev also has some voyeuristic sex with his girlfriend Eve (Amy Smart), all to keep his adrenaline up and keep his heart pumping.

Chev was poisoned by Ricky Verona (Jose Pablo Cantillo) because Verona and the rest of the Los Angeles cartel decided that they didn’t want Chev working for them anymore.

Chev talks to Doc Miles (Dwight Yoakam) to get information on how to continue bringing adrenaline to his body. This helps Chev speed through the rest of Los Angeles in a daring attempt to find Verona.

The last part of the movie finds Chev and Verona in a shoot-em’-up battle for supremacy that is too good to resist. The scene was shot on the rooftop of a hotel that is decked to the nines with futuristic decorations. Make sure to watch for the girls caged in glass balls. Don’t try this at home.

The scenes of the movie are composed of shots that are very short, giving the movie a sense of rapid movement. You will find yourself trying to catch up with Chev as he has his way with everyone he encounters.

The camera meets the theme of the movie because it moves in an unbalanced way that creates the sense of necessity that Chev is experiencing.

Another reason this movie is so genius is the execution of some of the scenes. In one scene Chev is talking about being outside the box, and as he’s drawing a box in the air with his finger, the box appears on the screen for the viewer.

There are also a couple of words that Chev says to the several bad guys in the movie that are show up like subtitles at the bottom of the screen. It’s an edgy way to point out the words that are important to what the character is trying to portray.

The characters of “”Crank”” are memorable for their grandiose attitudes. Ricky Verona is as ruthless as Cruella DeVille when she’s looking for puppies.

Jason Statham doesn’t disappoint in his character because he is the man that uber males dream of being. If you liked the adventure-driven “”The Transporter,”” which was one of Statham’s other movies, you will enjoy this movie because it is an adventure as well.

The 87 minutes of this movie go by quickly, but it’s worth every penny. The end of the movie is disappointing but still unconventional and genius.

If you’re the kind of person who likes constant action in a movie – with punches every three minutes, unexpected fights and evil revenge plots – do not pass up “”Crank.””