UW seniors look to future after defeat

North Carolina’s 86-83 win on Sunday not only ended the Washington Huskies’ season, but also the college careers of UW seniors Matthew Bryan-AmaningJustin Holiday and Venoy Overton.

“”It’s been a quick four years,”” said Bryan-Amaning, who matched Quincy Pondexter for most games played for the Huskies (136). “”I remember from freshman year and not making the tournament, and then three outstanding years after that. … Obviously, we’re upset about this game, but just playing with these guys is a lot of fun.””

The end might have been especially painful for Holiday and Overton, who each made key errors in the crucial final seconds.

With 7.4 seconds left and UW down by one with possession, Holiday’s inbound pass intended for Isaiah Thomas was tipped by North Carolina’s John Henson to Dexter Strickland.

“”I thought we were going to win it there,”” Holiday said. “”I was trying to get the ball to Isaiah so he could finish it for us. I had all the confidence in the world of him finishing the game for us, and I didn’t hold up my part in getting the ball to him.””

The steal forced UW to foul, and Strickland’s two free throws raised UNC’s margin to three.

However, UW still had a chance for a tying 3-pointer until Overton launched a wild shot from near midcourt in an unsuccessful attempt to draw a foul.

“”I’m very disappointed,”” Overton said. “”As a guard you just know if they’re going to foul you, just let them foul you and hopefully something else happens. … But it’s a decision that happened, and the team is going to move on. They’re going to be great next year.””

The rest of the UW roster is eligible to return next season, although Thomas gave varying responses Sunday when asked if he might leave for the NBA.

Thomas ended his junior season fourth on the school scoring list (1,721 points), and he tied Will Conroy for most assists in a season (217).

If Thomas returns, the 2011-12 Huskies senior class with consist of Thomas, Scott Suggs and Darnell Gant, while underclassmen such as Terrence RossC.J. Wilcox and Aziz N’Diaye will return with more experience.

Point guard Abdul Gaddy is expected to be healthy by the start of fall camp. And redshirt freshman Desmond Simmons will become available, along with the incoming class of point guards Tony Wroten of Seattle and Andrew Andrews of Portland, combo guard Hikeem Stewart of Seattle and forward Jernard Jarreau of New Orleans.

Coach Lorenzo Romar has said all three of his seniors could get a chance to continue their careers as pros.

Overton, especially, said he hopes he can continue playing beyond his senior season that included not only his late-game mistake Sunday, but also a disciplinary suspension and a pending misdemeanor charge for providing alcohol to a minor.

“”I’m going to be fine,”” Overton said. “”I still can go on and play basketball. I’ve talked to a few people to try to go somewhere to get a workout. There’s always overseas or somewhere. The people that know me know that if I go somewhere else I’m not going to be this kind of player. … Once that’s over I’m going to really show what I can really do.””