Women’s golf in Hawaii for Thompson Invitational

After being out of action for nearly a month, the No. 10 Arizona women’s golf team will begin play once again in the 22nd annual Dr. Donnis Thompson Invitational in Oahu, Hawaii, today.

The two-day tournament hosted by Hawaii will be played at the 72-par Kane’ohe Klipper Golf Course.

In the Wildcats’ last outing Feb. 27, they finished in eighth place in their own Arizona Wildcat Invitational in Tucson – finishing 39 strokes short of victor ASU – in what Arizona head coach Greg Allen called a “”disappointing”” finish.

“”I felt that the (Arizona Wildcat Invitational) was the strongest field we will have to face until nationals,”” Allen said. “”In a course that we play so much, it wasn’t great that we finished in eighth place, but it wasn’t terrible.””

In a field that includes six ranked teams, 10th-ranked Arizona is the highest squad in the polls entering the tournament, but included in the field are No. 18 Texas A&M, No. 17 Brigham Young and No. 32 Ohio State.

“”It is going to be a tough tournament,”” Allen said. “”There is a lot of room for error at this course, especially with all the wind, but it is certainly a tournament we feel we can win.””

Allen pointed to the substandard performance of his team’s top three as a reason for Arizona’s struggle in the Wildcat Invitational.

Junior Alison Walshe, ranked No. 8 individually, finished tied for 17th place with a 9-over 222 for the Wildcat Invitational, while sophomores Adriana Zwanck and Amanda Wilson shot scores totaling 203 (17-over-par), which landed them in 39th place.

“”We need to have a solid match from the top three,”” Allen said. “”We are coming into this tournament with the highest ranking, and winning it is something that is definitely in reach.””