Before You Graduate

It’s a new year and a new decade, so why not spend it learning more about our underrated city before you graduate? Even the familiar UA campus can hold surprises and hidden treasures. And unlike Richard B. Woodward of The New York Times, you’ll have more than 36 hours to enjoy your expeditions. Here are some ways to experience the UA and Tucson from new perspectives.

Ride a vintage electric trolley

Instead of walking along Fourth Avenue for what feels like a thousand times on a Friday night, consider riding a piece of history. With the construction of the Fourth Avenue underpass finally complete, now is the perfect time to take a ride on the Old Pueblo Trolley, especially since its route has been expanded to include a stop next to Club Congress.

Friday 6 – 10 p.m.; Saturday noon – midnight; Sunday noon – 6 p.m.

Adults: $1.25 each way, $3 all-day pass

Children ages 6-12: 75¢ each way, $2 all-day pass

Sunday special: All patrons, all ages, 25¢ each trip

Join the Tucson CSA

Members of Community Supported Agriculture buy a share of a farm or ranch. Whatever is harvested that season is divided among each shareholder. This means you get better produce than the nearest supermarket can offer as well as some of the richest tasting eggs you’ll ever eat. The ever-helpful Tucson agriculture crew offers recipes and suggestions on how to incorporate that week’s watercress into your meals. Field trips to the supported farms and ranches are a nice bonus.

300 E. University Blvd, Ste. 146, in the courtyard of The Historic Y. Membership is offered seasonally with the next session beginning in February. For more information, visit www.tucsoncsa.org or call 203-1010.

Plan a food and wine tour

Tucson is the culinary oasis for southern Arizona and it is gaining national prominence thanks to visits from Adam Richman of “”Man v. Food,”” Andrew Zimmern of “”Bizarre Foods”” and Andrew Knowlton, restaurant editor of Gourmet magazine (now with Bon Appétit). And here’s a little known fact: Tucson is a few hours away from wine country. With wineries located in Sonoita, Elgin and Willcox, Ariz., an oenophile has many opportunities to plan a day trip to sample some of the best wines in Arizona. For those new to the world of wine, there are guided day tours available through Reisen Arizona.

Visit www.visittucson.org for more information. Reisen Arizona, 4142 E. Kings Rd., 319-8130, www.reisenarizona.com.

— Steven Kwan

Is there something that you think we should do before graduating? Send your suggestions to arts@wildcat.arizona.edu. Please include your name, major and year.