“Gymcats head to Denver, host senior meet over break”

When the No. 17 Arizona gymnastics team heads to Colorado this weekend for a matchup with No. 13 Denver (13-4) it will be hoping for three things: no snow, unbiased judging and to clean up its act.

“”We need to not do stupid things like stepping out of bounds,”” said UA coach Bill Ryden. “”We can’t make mental errors like that. We need to be sharper.””

Last week in Kentucky the Gymcats (7-4, 3-3 Pacific-10 Conference) had to deal with questionable judging on the floor exercise, and Denver’s reputation for hometown scoring precedes it.

“”They are really good and are kind of known for home scoring,”” said junior Beamer Bergeson. “”So you just have to get over that and accept that.

“”But we are better than them,”” she added. “”I’ve seen them the last two years and I know we can beat them.””

Ryden said he just wants the routines to be “”judged justly.””

For one of the Gymcats, the Denver meet will be an opportunity to see what might have been.

“”When I was getting recruited, Denver (University) was my number two school,”” said junior Bree Workman. “”But I committed here before I could ever go on a recruiting trip there and I’m curious to see how Denver is, because I’ve never been.””

The week after the meet in Denver, the Gymcats will host their final home meet on Friday, March 21, and will honor their four seniors after the meet.

“”It’s crazy,”” said senior Karin Wurm. “”People always tell you times flies, and it does. It’s been quite a ride being here. I still sometimes think of myself as a freshman.

“”But, we need to celebrate the end of your life in gymnastics rather than mourn the end of it,”” Wurm added. “”We are one of the closest teams in the country, I consider all of these girls as sisters and it will be hard, but the final goodbyes are going to be the hardest.””

For the juniors it will be especially difficult, because they will be saying goodbye to their leaders.

“”Oh gosh, I’m already dreading it,”” Workman said. “”I’ve already had to buy water-proof mascara.””

Bergeson is still in denial about the meet because she is so close to the four seniors.

“”We have looked up to them,”” Bergeson said. “”(The seniors) have raised us to be Arizona gymnasts, and they are big leaders on this team and we (are going to) have big shoes to fill.””