Arizona football dominates SDSU in season opener

Nathanial Stenchever

Keyan Burnett, a tight end on the Arizona football team, works on blocking drills before a scrimmage on Aug. 20, 2022, at Arizona Stadium. The mock game would consist of the offense taking on the defense for the night in a friendly scrimmage.

Arizona defeated San Diego State University by a score of 38-20 in their 2022 season opener. For the first time since 2017, the Arizona football team won their first game of the season.

Arizona scored two touchdowns and made a field goal during their first three drives on offense. During the second quarter, the Wildcats struggled a little bit on offense. On back-to-back drives, we saw wide receiver Dorian Singer fumble the ball and Jayden de Laura throw an interception. Arizona then bounced back in a big way, scoring three touchdowns in five offensive drives.

Jayden De Laura was excellent in this game where he was 22-35 for 299 yards, four touchdowns and one interception.

Wide receiver Jacob Cowing tied the Arizona record for most receiving touchdowns in a single game today, after catching three of them from de Laura. Cowing also caught eight balls for a total of 152 yards to lead the Wildcats in catches and receiving yards today.

This is just Arizona’s second victory since the 2019 season after only winning one game last season.

The Wildcats were successful, running the ball against the Aztecs while totaling 162 yards with six different players carrying the ball. On the other hand, Arizona’s defense held SDSU to a total of 232 yards with only 62 of them through the air. The defense also had two takeaways: an interception by Jaxen Turner in the second quarter and Kolbe Cage recovered a fumble.

The first game of the second season of the Jedd Fisch era is in the books as a victory. Next week the Wildcats welcome Mississippi State University to town for their home opener.

Follow Ryan Wohl on Twitter