Icecats split series against CSU

The Arizona club hockey team split its weekend series after losing to Colorado State in overtime on Saturday at the Tucson Convention Center.

After a weekend in which the Icecats (3-8) improved on their defense and discipline, that lack of control returned at the end of the third period with the game tied 3-3.

As the final period ended, Arizona defenseman Austin Capobianco was ejected after he headbutted a Colorado State player.

In overtime, the Rams capitalized on the misconduct penalty with a game-winning goal 2:59 into the overtime period.

“”Now it’s the F-word – Finish. Now we seem to be executing but we can’t finish,”” said Icecats head coach Leo Golembiewski.

The Icecats did manage to get their first home win of the season Friday, thanks in large part to a two-goal effort from forward Cody Morin in the 4-2 win over the Rams.

One of Morin’s goals came on a powerplay. Forward Robbie Nowinski slotted a pass in the front of the net and Morin lit the lamp with 4:27 left in the second period to give the Icecats a 2-1 lead. It was just one of his three goals over the weekend against Colorado State.

“”It’s really disappointing having five goals in six games and really hurts that we can’t finish games,”” Morin said. “”A lot of us have our heads down. … We really need to keep them up because the season is not over.””