Chicken and waffles find a home in Tucson

If you’ve been thinking to yourself that Tucson needs a chicken and waffle joint then your dreams have come true. Chef Aaron May has brought May’s Counter to the hungry masses. While it may seem an odd combo, it’s one you have to give a try. If you just can’t muster up the will, don’t fret — May’s offers a great, well-rounded menu that includes burgers and sandwiches.

May’s offers down home comfort food. You can’t go wrong with their staple, chicken and waffles — it’s sweet, crispy waffles and savory fried chicken. The moist, nicely-seasoned fried chicken is a perfect addition to their waffles. If you’re going for appetizers the tot-chos — yes, tater tot nachos — offer a hefty portion of tater tots covered in cheese, chicken, salsa and more. I opted for the cheddar dip with chips. It was a delicious blend of cheddar cheese and green chilis served with a delectably spicy picante sauce. Load up your tortilla chips and savor this appetizer.

And don’t forget the libations! From the kid friend orange, red and purple soda pop to the array of cocktails there is something for everyone. I went with the adult Arnold Palmer. It was a sweet blend of tea and lemonade with a hint of orange-infused Stoli vodka. To top it all off, they’ve got beers and wine galore.

The burgers are juicy, big and come with a giant spear through them to hold it all together. What more could you want? The mac and cheese is creamy perfection; May’s makes mac and cheese right. Their grits are cooked to perfection and the sweet potatoes — blended with a perfect almost pumpkin pie type spice blend — are fantastic. You really cannot go wrong with May’s. And it won’t hurt the pocket book too much. Entrees range from $8-$13 and sides are only a buck or two. If you prefer your waffles in the morning, May’s offers up breakfast including omelets and morning po’ boys. If you’re crazy enough to take your waffle chicken-free, there are tons of ways to customize it. Try adding their hefty-sized pecans, chocolate chips or bacon.

Needless to say, May’s is a welcome addition to Tucson’s culinary community. Although now the hours are 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., the plan is to soon become the spot for late night weekend eats. May’s staff is fast and friendly. They know the menu well. Given that they’ve been open just over a week, this is quite the accomplishment. Step outside your comfort zone and experience chicken and waffles the right way at May’s Counter.