Who is Oregon State?

Oregon State comes to Arizona Stadium for the final home game of the season for Arizona. The Beavers have yet to win a game in Pac-12 play.

Gary Andersen was the first Power Five coach dismissed this season, and for good reason.  The Oregon State Beavers are one of the worst football teams in the nation, they haven’t beaten an FBS program all year. It appears that the program that was once famous for overachieving has bottomed out.  

The Beavers have been unable to put points on the board throughout the season, they rank 112th in points scored.  OSU’s inability to create scoring opportunities can be laid at the feet of quarterbacks Jake Luton and Darrell Garretson.  Both Luton and Garretson are inaccurate passers who lack the ability to push the football downfield.  Luton was the starter early in the season before ineffective play made him expendable.  Garretson hasn’t been much better, he hasn’t looked like the player he was at Utah State.  Both players are prone to turnovers, they’ve combined to throw seven interceptions this season.  

With the passing game a nonfactor, tailback Ryan Nall has been expected to carry the offense yet again.  Nall has been the most productive Beaver, averaging 5.4 yards per carry.  The junior is a powerful runner that is surprisingly agile. Nall has a nose for the endzone, as evidenced by his team high seven touchdowns.  

He runs behind what is an inexperienced, yet large line.  Center Gus Lavaka and tackle Black Brandel are the returning starters, both were forced into action as freshmen last year. Tackle Justin Settelmaier was a force at the junior college level but has struggled to find his niche with the Beavers. 

Without a competent quarterback, the OSU receiving corps has been reduced to an afterthought. Leading receiver Noah Togiai averages 12.2 yards per catch, he is a player that would benefit mightily from improved quarterback play.  Joining Togiai on the perimeter is Jordan Villamin and Isaiah Hodgins.  Villamin is a physically impressive athlete, but his production doesn’t match his ability.  

The Beavers defense has been a sore spot for years, but it appears that the wheels have fallen off the wagon. The Beavers defense is one of the worst groups in the country, they rank near the bottom in almost every statistical category.  OSU lacks power on the defensive line, speed at linebacker and versatility in the secondary.  Leading tackler Manase Hungalu has made 81 stops, he also leads the team in tackles for loss and interceptions.

Follow Nathan Skinner on Twitter