Lake County man arrested on suspicion of child abuse

Lake County man who reportedly whipped his teen-age daughter with a belt after he came home for lunch and found a boy in their house was arrested for suspected child abuse after the girl turned up at school the next day with a bruised leg and arm, authorities said.

Roderic Ian Hilliard, a county code enforcement officer, was called down to Kelseyville High School on Wednesday afternoon and taken into custody for suspicion of willful cruelty to a child, the Lake County Sheriff’s Department said.

His 17-year-old daughter and a 7-year-old son were taken into protective custody by Child Protective Services, authorities said.

Hilliard, 37, reportedly discovered the boy at his Kelseyville home when came home for lunch on Tuesday afternoon, the sheriff’s department said.

He told the boy to leave and then went back to work, authorities said.

But that night, Hilliard reportedly broke his daughter’s cell phone and other property before getting a belt and striking her several times as punishment, the sheriff’s office said.

Kelseyville High officials learned of the incident at noon Wednesday and informed law enforcement deputies of “”significant bruising”” on the girl, authorities said.

Hilliard was booked into the Lake County Jail and was being held in lieu of $25,000 bail, authorities said.