“‘Wild Things’ a giddy, dreamy modern classic”

Where The Wild Things Are
    Where The Wild Things Are

Turning a classic book into a movie is often bad news. Generally the issue is that there is so much in a book you simply cannot cram it all into a movie. For Maurice Sendak’s classic “”Where the Wild Things Are,”” however, it seemed the book would prove much too short to be turned into movie magic.

Boy, was that idea wrong.

“”Where the Wild Things Are”” stuns. There is no denying that this classic story will very soon be considered a movie classic as well. Visually stunning and beautifully written, the film will melt any true wild thing’s heart — it is a “”wild rumpus”” indeed!

The film begins with Max, a little boy asking for attention from his family. There is a wild thing lurking below his sweet exterior because he is a boy destined to be a king in wolf’s clothing.

Cinematically the film is remarkable, and in terms of the story “”Wild Things”” is great. From Max’s room to the monsters he meets, no detail is dull or drab. From Max’s interaction with his mom to his first encounter with Carol, Ira and the rest of the wild things, no word feels out of place.

You can’t help but fall in love with Max. The outcast little boy turns out to be a remarkably complex character. When Max decides to run away from home, he lands in a forest far away after a long boat ride.

From the first glance at the monsters it is clear Dave Eggers, who helped write the script, and Spike Jonze, who directed, did not miss a thing. The detail of the monsters is mind-blowing. You cannot help but want to give Carol a big hug. His bulbous nose and big eyes are beautifully realistic. If monsters were real, they would be like this. Each hair and every expression on the monsters are perfect. Never before has a children’s book been brought to life like this.

Stretching such a short book into a 90-minute film seems a feat for even the most talented, and has left many Sendak lovers skeptical. The fleshed out story is beautifully done. It is touching. It is funny. It may even draw a tear or two because we all have a little Max the king and Carol the monster in us. We all need to belong and sometimes it’s hard to understand why we are stuck with the families we have, but Max shows us that the bonds each family has are unique and there for a reason.

Once Max finds himself the king of the wild things, he learns the ins and outs not only of being a king, but of being a wild thing himself. Max’s kingdom is a fantastical world anyone would want to visit. Forests meet the sea and the desert all under a never-ending blue sky.

Again, the detail and clarity of the film is mind-blowingly perfect. The range of emotions that the monsters express in their faces and voices almost makes you forget they are giant, furry, feathered and sharp-toothed monsters.

The moral of the story is that despite the brevity of a book it can be brought to life on the big screen with the right care and attention to detail. Watching Max grow and learn with his wild friends and eventually find his way home is not only true to the book but uplifting and pretty-darn moving for being a kids film.

“”Where the Wild Things Are”” is a thrill ride of amazing cinematography, perfect lighting and an interesting world of wild things. If nothing else, see it for the monsters. They are the cutest mix of monsters you’ll ever see.