Men’s golf finishes 11th in New Mexico

The No. 13 Arizona men’s golf team saved its best for last, shooting a final round 6-over-par 294 to finish in 11th place at the William H. Tucker Intercollegiate in Albuquerque, N.M., this weekend.

The Wildcats, lead by junior Travis Esway, jumped four places from the first day in the two-day event, shooting a 32-over 896 total for the 54-hole, two-day tournament hosted by the University of New Mexico.

The home team won the event with a final tally of 874, which put them at 10-over for the tournament. No. 6 Brigham Young and Pepperdine rounded out the top three with scores of 875 (11-over) and 877 (13-over), respectively.

The top performer for Arizona was senior Nathan Tyler, who finished the tournament with a 5-over 221, good for a 20th-place tie. Tyler, competing as an individual, finished in the top 20 for the 10th time in his career.

Esway finished tied for 31st place with an 8-over 224, while junior Trey Denton and freshman Pedro Oriol both tied for 38th place with matching 225s (9-over).

New Mexico senior Charlie Beljan claimed the individual title, finishing with a 6-under 210 for the tournament.

Also competing for Arizona were senior Josh Esler (11-over 227), sophomore Tyler Neal (17-over 233) and sophomore Ben Fox (19-over 235). Neal’s final-round 72 was Arizona’s low of the tournament.

Arizona will next compete Oct. 2-3 in the Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate in Birmingham, Ala.

-Compiled from a press release at www.arizonaathletics.com.