Eller entrepreneurship grads create new virtual reality 3-D camera app

othree / Flickr (CC BY 2.0)

In today’s world, tech-companies must keep up with the times, technology wise.

They must innovate creative, unique product ideas that will easily lure their consumers.

The start-up company Vidi VR, founded by a group of Eller College of Management grads, achieves this by simulating virtual reality with an interactive app and a 3-D camera.

RELATED: Two Eller grads make Tucson’s local foodie scene great again with FoodInRoot 

The CEO of Vidi VR, Brian Herrera, came up with the app’s concept for his senior project while studying at the McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship at Eller.

The 3-D camera allows the Vidi VR team to record videos that look realistic and make the viewer feel as though they are in the scene of the video.

“Our camera is two lenses, mounted on a headband so that they mimic your eyes exactly,” said Paul Injeti, a member of the Vidi VR team. “Whatever they record when you watch it in VR it looks 3-D, like real life.”

The Vidi VR team won office space in the Arizona Center for Innovation through the Innovate UA Demo Day Competition, which allowed them time and space to work on its new projects.

After Herrera and his team finished developing the camera, they created an app for Vidi VR, which will launch on Feb. 1, 2017.

The app shares similarities with Instagram in the sense that users are able to post and watch 3-D VR videos shared by the Vidi VR team and users themselves.

“Vidi VR is a virtual-reality social-media experience,” Herrera said. “Our wearable virtual reality camera lets you share the world through your eyes in VR.”

The app will allow people all over the world to share their experiences with the world.

“We are all about experience sharing, so you put the headband on and whatever you’re doing while you record it, you can share that experience with other people,” Injeti said.

Vidi VR has also developed a VR viewer called Vidi Bamboo, which will retail for $15.

Vidi Bamboo is made with authentic bamboo and has features similar to Google Cardboard.

VR viewers allow people to slip their phone in the lenses and transform a VR video into a 3-D experience. The Vidi Bamboo will be the first product up for purchase from Vidi VR.

The Vidi VR team, which is currently working on collecting videos, will showcase its videos on the app once the app launches.

The team has gone to festivals, art galleries and places with scenic beauty to capture videos.

RELATED: UA opens new “micro-campus” in Cambodia 

The team even plans on collaborating with a downtown Tucson art gallery to create VR facility tours.

The hardworking members of Vidi VR said they plan on creating new products and expanding their company’s brand in the future.

You can keep up with Vidi VR on its website.

Follow Victoria Hudson on Twitter