Reverence of Memorial Day has been lost by Americans

When Memorial Day rolls around, Americans jitter with excitement because it grants them a three-day vacation from work, a booze-filled trip to the lake and mall sales galore.

Two protesters parked themselves at the corner of East Speedway Boulevard and North Campbell Avenue with a sign proclaiming that war has no purpose – a slap in the face to over 100,000 Americans who served in Afghanistan and Iraq since 2001.

The ability to hold their sign freely and express their opinion is ironically the result of another war in which soldiers fought for democratic ideals and free speech: The American Revolution of the 18th century and the First Amendment.

Let’s not be a generation of ignorance.

Do Americans not understand the significance of Memorial Day?

Generational differences determine the degree of reverence for this national holiday. For many Americans, the true significance of Memorial Day has been lost. According to the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, Memorial Day was originally known as Decoration Day and first honored the lives of Civil War soldiers.

On this day, we honor all soldiers past and present, from the Civil War to those currently serving in the Middle East.

The War on Terror is already being written in elementary history textbooks. College students have witnessed the birth and extension of this confusing and prolonged stay. A 2009 report released by Congress stated that all troops would be removed from Iraq by the end of 2011, while increasing numbers in Afghanistan.

This Memorial Day, instead of trying to argue the details of the war or protest the military moves of the United States, take a moment to honor the blood spilled in battle and the courage of soldiers.